Protecting Seedlings from Rabbits

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I grew four london plane seedlings from seed into happy little treelets.

I grew them in buckets. But once they were bit enough to make it on their own, I planted them on the slope of my yard. My back yard is flat but at the edges, its a very steep slope down to a lower level where a stream is. So I figure a few extra trees will help keep everything in place. Plus london planes are a cool tree, great for climbing etc. And because it's on the slope, the peeling bark won't bother me at all.

So at first the little baby trees thrived.
And then the rabbits came.
And thats the end of my little trees.
Actually one has re-sproutded after all its leaves and most of its stem were eaten. But I suspect it will get eaten again and die like its brothers.

One option is to eliminate the rabbits. I'm looking in to this but in the meantime, or even in addition to this, I still need some kind of inexpensive protection. Here in Massachusetts, we are FULLY infested with rabbits. They are everywhere. Theres at least half a dozen in every single suburban lawn, at all times.

One thing that makes this a little more difficult is the way the trees are planted on the slope. It makes it pretty tricky to just wrap some chicken wire around some stakes or anything like that. I figure once the tree is 2' tall, it should be big enough to keep growing out of the reach of those little brown assholes. I also don't really have the means to grow them in pots until they are that large.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you considered sprays or anything like that to deter them from sniffing around? Maybe you could plant some of those other plants that rabbits don't tend to eat alongside your london planes to kind of create a natural barrier? Or you could try planting some other shrubbery for them to munch at instead. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you could do - sounds like you've got a real challenge on your hands!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Any ideas?

An outside dog is the very best protector against rabbits and a host of other critters that would love to do harm to your greenery. Nothing else comes even close. Even if the dog is outside only part of the time, it still represents a huge deterrent.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Many gardeners find urine to be an effective rabbit combatant. Urine emits pheromones, a biological chemical that smells offensive to rabbits. It's the best defense for groundhogs too.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I would *LOVE* to use that solution! But unfortunately its not something I can do right now.
Ok you might try this...plastic forks stuck upside down around the seedlings. Make sure they have human smell on them.

forks.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Many gardeners find urine to be an effective rabbit combatant. Urine emits pheromones, a biological chemical that smells offensive to rabbits. It's the best defense for groundhogs too.

Well my neighbors might not appreciate this one but I'll give it a try... at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
You're only talking a few seedlings - chicken wire around each. Dig it into the ground 3 or 4 inches and hold it up with wooden stakes. I had to do this around my blueberry bushes.

Around my whole garden I put in a welded wire fence about knee high. The holes are about 2" x 3" in that mesh.

Killing rabbits is a bit of a fools errand - they'll out pace you.
A compound bow will easily take out a rabbit but have a small club around to dispatch it quickly if your shot is off a little. Conibear 110 traps will kill a rabbit but are a little too small for eastern cottontails.

Ask a Question