protecting from frost..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am not an experienced garden but i do enjoy it and love learning, i hope this doesn't sound daft but i purchase some young plants from local shop, petunia and calibrachoa, so now i know i cant put them outside till frost passed i haven,t got a green house will they be ok just in the house i have planted them in the pots i want them to stay in... i just assumed as they were in the shops they were ready for planting..:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sadly here in the UK. So many people are tempted at seeing plants, particularly bedding plants for sale so early in the season. Everyone becomes excited, and suddenly we het a snap frost. A few weeks later folk are back to the gardencenters and shops, buying and replacing their plants.

Keeping plants indoors can give a lot of pleasure. Points to remember. Even indoors, sudden temperature changes can be a problem. Also draughts and of course having plants too close to window glass and radiators. Try rotating the plants, so what available light is equally shared and take care with watering and feeding. Best wishes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello mike, that's exactly that i got excited!!it would be a shame if they didn't take, i will look after them indoors for the time being, hopefully they are fine i wont buy in a hurry again though.. many thanks..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hello i am not an experienced garden but i do enjoy it and love learning, i hope this doesn't sound daft but i purchase some young plants from local shop, petunia and calibrachoa, so now i know i cant put them outside till frost passed i haven,t got a green house will they be ok just in the house i have planted them in the pots i want them to stay in... i just assumed as they were in the shops they were ready for planting..:rolleyes:
Is a product called Nsulate impossible to get there? If it is available it really works.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya @jacqui1411 Welcome to the forum :) The Nsulate that @Chuck was talking about is fleece in English :happy: It`s good to have a bit of that handy when the nights get cold - keeps the frost off.

It is always difficult to wait for the frosts to be out of the way before planting out, a little display of sunshine, and us gardeners are pulling at the bit to get on with it. Here in the Southeast it gets mild a bit earlier (usually) but we can never be sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Setting plants out on the south side of a house close to the foundation works well for many plants. Figuring out your microclimates in your yard is helpful for harding plants and extending the growing season. Just be aware of slugs and snails since they love young tender plants.

Ask a Question