Protecting the plants from intruders

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have an extension garden in the vacant lot beside our property. My husband had planted some crops there like cassava, sweet potato vines, banana and even mulberry. And in spite of the wooden fence, goats came one time and raided the plants. All the leaves were gone but it was not due to early arrival of autumn. Those goats really gave us stress. What we did was to gather twigs of bamboo to augment the fence. Now, those intruders couldn't get in lest they be pricked by the thorns of those twigs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I sort of wish I lived somewhere goats wandered about. :)
We had goats for years growing up, I really like them but they can be awfully destructive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you found a solution for that problem! It is upsetting to see when your hard work get destroyed by those critters. I know they have to eat too, still but..."please eat some where else" kind of thing :)

Reaction score
Lol, good one, OP! I'm glad you could solve your problem, I've heard of people who has issues with deer and that kind of animals as well. I've no idea what I'd do if that that kind of problem in my garden. I'm actually not sure what I'l do about the moles :O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh. We had a groundhog that had babies. My dog keeps running them off, but I live in city limits and can scare them with the rifle like my grandpa used to. My dog did end up killing two of them in July. So I think that would leave us with three groundhogs still left in the neighborhood. I only have some tomatoes and peppers. It rained too much for me to get anything else in the ground this year. It's been such a strange season.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
We had to put wire mesh around our garden. All sorts of animals would walk in and cause havoc before we did. The most notorious were hedgehogs. We are now looking for a way to deal with moles that keep burrowing into the garden.

Reaction score
Oh. We had a groundhog that had babies. My dog keeps running them off, but I live in city limits and can scare them with the rifle like my grandpa used to. My dog did end up killing two of them in July. So I think that would leave us with three groundhogs still left in the neighborhood. I only have some tomatoes and peppers. It rained too much for me to get anything else in the ground this year. It's been such a strange season.

My grandpa used to scare all sorts of things with his rifle as well, I guess these old methods never fail to scare this kind of critters, specially the ''two-legged'' rats, lol. Glad you can use this method still, we will be living in the middle of the city, with just a tiny fence separating my house from the neighbor's. Must be great to have as much privacy as you surely have.

Ask a Question