Variegated Reversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two variegated shubs that I inherited from previous owner:

1) Varigated, deciduous?, Early Flowering Ceanothus (Californian Lilac).

2) Varigated Italian Buckthorn.

I had pruned the buckthorn (probably at the wrong time) and it has reverted back to green (non verigated) quite extensively. How do I correct this and when? Was it my pruning they caused this?

Secondly, I have read it’s a good time to prune the ceanothus when it finishes blooming soon… but will I cause this to revert by doing so?

I have included pictures of both below.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5148.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The Ceanothus is pretty stable and shouldn't revert as long as you leave stems with variegated leaves. For the Buckthorn, you need to remove all the stems with plain green leaves back to a branch with variegated leaves. Then do any shaping of what is left. Through the summer remove any green stems, on either one, as soon as you notice them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking a hard REJUVINATION. But assuming this is grafted. Either way I have to remove the reversion. A shame. It will ruin the structure as it’s been pruned like a standard.

It does have fresh shoot from below that is verigated from main stem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's probably not grafted, just trained. If you have to remove the top you can train a new trunk from a shoot that comes off the trunk. If you get several, pick the straightest/strongest and stake it up. It will take a couple of years, but eventually you'll have a nice tree again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the advice. Do you think my untimely or incorrect pruning caused the reversion? It’s quite extensive and occurred after the pruning? Some time after but after?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for the advice (although I suspect my pruning had something to do with it).. I will take a closer look and see if the cuts are where the reversion is.

Do you know if there is a correct way to prune this plant that doesn’t result in reversion? It was just too big and tangled. So had to cut it.

Ask a Question