Planning an RV Gardening Adventure

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Gardening Community! I am a landscape designer/gardener in NYC (I get to work on a lot of rooftops!), and am planning on expanding my horizons by hitting the road next fall in a small RV. My goal is to garden my way around the U.S., learning about different habitats and utilizing regional native species in garden projects as I go.

I am on the search for fantastic plant reference guides about regions in the U.S. I am completely open to destinations at this point. I know that I'll be hitting central FL for a bit, Austin TX for the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, and want to spend time in both the Bay Area and the Southwest, but I am excited about the many horticultural prospects this incredible country has to offer.

Any favorites or suggestions on regional gardening/plant guides? I'd love to hear about your favorite parts of the country to garden in as well, if you've had the privilege of planting in multiple regions.

I can't wait to hear from you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome TravelingGardener. :) Wow! That's one big adventure you're about to embark on, good luck! I think your fellow Americans here will be more helpful than me for suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome TravelingGardener. :) Wow! That's one big adventure you're about to embark on, good luck! I think your fellow Americans here will be more helpful than me for suggestions.
Thank you for the warm welcome Sheal! I am so excited to talk to folks, especially as this is my first foray into the forum world as well :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Interesting goal. As a hydrangea fan, noticed that Martha's vineyards has some beauties which flower in July. However, Washington State, can support some more fragile type, the nursery up there I adore is Hernonswood and they are open to people to work there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Depending on your direction of travel, the Albany NY Tulip Fest is wonderful (Mother's Day weekend)and the Spring Planting Festival in Mansfield MO (May 5&6) is good. There is also the Heirloom Expo in Santa Rosa CA on Sept 10-12.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Husband and I are planning to purchase an RV at some point. The issues is our fur babies. One we may be able to take with us, harness train, leash train etc. the others, 3 of them, nope. so we are pondering.

Ask a Question