Planning for 2017

Reaction score
Country
United States
So with 2016 growing season coming to an end, I'm planning for next year. This year I took a break from vegetable gardening.

So after some experimentation and evaluation of previous growing seasons, I've decided to do away with boxed beds and go towards a furrow and row style garden. Since the area slopes I can take advantage of the runoff and collect it in trenches to use for irrigation and I'm not going to be limited to the boxes.

I'm still trying to think of what I want to grow and since it's not even winter yet, I have plenty of time to plan. Trying to so some preping of the area before winter so everything will be ready for next year.
20161013_183121.jpg

What I have already. You can see the furrow in the middle.

20161013_183125.jpg

Garden weather station. Wind, temperature, humidity, rain, air pressure, and light intensity.
20161013_183133.jpg

So, if you're wondering what that black stuff is, the garden was overgrown with weeds and I had no easy way to remove them. So I decided to burn the weeds.

Don't worry, I made sure to have the garden hose on standby so the fire wouldn't get out of hand. At least that's the lazy man's of removing lots of weeds and grass. Lol! Ash makes great fertilizer!

20161013_183147.jpg

Monitoring the soil moisture and temperatures through the winter, going to try and make some other furrows and beds before winter. So far everything is ready for 2017.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been doing some more research today on how to implement irrigation.

I'm looking at getting some items on the Gardena line to schedule furrow flooding times and integrating a fertilizer injector so that the plants are watered and fed automatically.

Amazon seems to carry Gardena in America though it doesn't look like they've fully entered the US market yet. Though reading reviews on Amazon, I think they're going to be the best bet.

Does anyone have any experience with Gardena products?

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
While you set your irrigation system up you should do it manually, it will take more time but it should be as effective while you continue your research.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20161027_220144.jpg
My prettiest bone fire (to be) yet:)!!! Maybe I'll try a singalong zigs. Trouble is rules say I must light through the day so not so spectacular as your night blazes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I work with a guy who burns all his garden plants in a chimnea and then puts the ashes back in the garden. I thought he was crazy!

Ask a Question