Birds and herbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm starting an herb garden and wondering if birds are attracted to Rosemary, cilantro, basil or oragano? I live in Southern Arizona so Quail, dove and lord knows what else. Just looking for a general heads up. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would say no to all those plants. However, if you desire to attract birds, then you'll need various types of seed and fruit-producing plants.

And you'll also need to attract insects, because many birds love to eat insects, so no use of insecticides. One interesting thing I've noticed is that a lot of different types of birds that eat insects, don't care for seeds, but they love fruits. Just one good example of this is the Mockingbird. And don't forget the birdbaths.

And dead logs are very good for attracting woodpeckers. I got this video in my yard a few years ago, of a woodpecker working on a dead log I buried in the ground.

Ask a Question