Ye old blackbirds in me corn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Grackles are bad this year as far as being bold. They aren't scared of anything short of 7.5 shot. Scarecrow just giggles when they fly in. Fake owl just turns its head. Rubber snakes turn into sticks. These used to somewhat work in the past although I'd have to move them around and change the scarecrows clothes.

Im thinking of taking a motion sensor light and wiring up something (which I don't know yet) to shake, rattle, or roll when they come in. What kind of contraptions do you guys use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any kids around that have BB Guns? Perhaps a Dead or Alive reward is in order. In San Antonio the city uses a contraption that sounds like a shotgun going off where grackles roost in hopes of running them off. Limited success so far

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hehe. I tried sniping them with a pellet gun before I broke out the shotgun. They are smart. They do a fly by to see what is around before they land. I only have a couple shooting lanes and I think they know that too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just a little food for thought in the following link. About 10 years ago some deer hunting, large land owner, decided that he wanted build a remote controlled rifle system that he could place in a deer stand and shoot deer from his office or anywhere else. He perfected it and sold deer leases to handicapped veterans who were unable to hunt normally. I think the Texas Parks and Wildlife stopped it but it did work and work very well. It would aim and fire the rifle with a click of the mouse.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, those fake owls serve only to make $ for those who sell them. I've had some success with outside dogs but the most reliable way I have found to protect your corn is you and your shotgun. Hanging any victims where visible for other birds to see is a pretty fair deterrent.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had a cat using my lawn to shit I investigated deterrents and found a motion detector that set off a high power water jet, no idea if it would work on these birds. What are they? some sort of crow family? They are pretty smart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I had a cat using my lawn to shit I investigated deterrents and found a motion detector that set off a high power water jet, no idea if it would work on these birds. What are they? some sort of crow family? They are pretty smart.
Nope, not related to crows or ravens. Also, one of their favorite pastimes is to walk around in the area a sprinkler is blasting water. They really enjoy water. Perhaps if one set a bare hot electric wire on wet ground??????????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know if they enjoy water spouts or not. I've tried to shoo a swallow away from my chicken coop before with a water hose and I do think that bird enjoyed it.

I do have a 12,000 volt electric fence but if it was to touch my corn, it would be brown in a few days time. One wire is near the ground and so far a grackle and mouse have been killed by it. I don't think I can rig it in a way to be far away from the plant and shock the bird without actually burning up my plants or me.

This is something I have running through my mind. I don't have any of the parts. The motor would shake the pie pans on a string when motion is detected.

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do have a 12,000 volt electric fence but if it was to touch my corn, it would be brown in a few days time. One wire is near the ground and so far a grackle and mouse have been killed by it. I don't think I can rig it in a way to be far away from the plant and shock the bird without actually burning up my plants or me.
No use if the birds don't complete a circuit, I see birds sitting on high power electric lines all the time. How about a 'bird table' set above the corn with two sets of wire mesh, one flat to the surface of the table, one about an inch above; one electrified, one grounded. I guess you would want a switch so you could just get them when they came, and not other birds, but a pole with one or two dead birds on it might give them the message when you were not there to flip the switch.
I bet they would get used to your pot lids rattling pretty quick by the sound of these birds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Agralan M551 Buzzline Bird Pest Control
This is the best form of protection from larger birds that I have found, & I've been using it perennially since I discovered it.
Crows, seagulls, pigeons & magpies do not like the resonant hum.
You do need some wind for it to work, but it will hum even in quite a light breeze.
Anyone else tried it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Eveyone blames dog owners for their pets mess, but the fact is, it's easy to train a cat to use a tray, especially when kittens, & when they are trained, they will seek to get in to use one.
So blame the owners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agralan M551 Buzzline Bird Pest Control
This is the best form of protection from larger birds that I have found, & I've been using it perennially since I discovered it.
Crows, seagulls, pigeons & magpies do not like the resonant hum.
You do need some wind for it to work, but it will hum even in quite a light breeze.
Anyone else tried it?
I've got chickens right next to my garden so they would probably be affected too.

That must be a regional thing because I cant even pull up a picture of what it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Must work something like the reed in a duck call. Cant find a picture of the actual product but I have an ideal of what it is.

Ask a Question