Protect Grapes from Birds

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Didn't work for me. Likewise, the toy owls and other plastic look alikes.

I don't bother with them anymore as we have an abundance of grapes, more than we can use. The birds take what they want, and we still have plenty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

30 June 2019 Air Dancer​

Posted on 06/30/2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/June 2019/30 June 2019 Air Dancer/HTML/ 30 June 2019 Air Dancer
My air dancer working protecting the cherry tree. The cherries will be ripe in a week. The efficiency of the device ill be evaluated then.
dsc_0921_std.jpg

—————————————————————————
Air dancer elevated on a step ladder.
http://durgan.org/2019/July 2019/5 July 2019 Air Dancer/HTML/ 5 July 2019 Air Dancer
Three robins were chased from the cherry tree. Th air dancer was elevated by using a step ladder and moved closer to the cherry tree. Later on in the day no birds were observed.
dsc_1072_std.jpg
Air dancer elevated on a step ladder.

Reaction score
Country
China
Didn't work for me. Likewise, the toy owls and other plastic look alikes.

I don't bother with them anymore as we have an abundance of grapes, more than we can use. The birds take what they want, and we still have plenty.
Thank you for sharing. The birds must love your vineyard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in England, so I shut the greenhouse door.
Three robins were chased from the cherry tree.
Caught me for a second, then I remembered Americans call a variety of thrush 'Robin'. The original robin redbreast of Olde England is a solitary insectivore, so it really didn't fit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I tried all the internet panaceas, non worked except the air dancer. Movement seems to be the working function and close to the object desired to protect. Birds in large numbers can destroy a single cherry tree in a few nights also vrey hard on blueberries and srawberries. Squirrels damage a lot of fruit also. The moving air dancer is the best defence to date.
I live in England, so I shut the greenhouse door.

Caught me for a second, then I remembered Americans call a variety of thrush 'Robin'. The original robin redbreast of Olde England is a solitary insectivore, so it really didn't fit.

The NA Robin has the same colouring as the UK version, but is twice the the size. Ours usually feeds on earth worms and I notice usually avoil plant grains.

Ask a Question