Advice on keeping the birds away from my herbs

Reaction score
I have finally decided to start a herb garden seeing as I received some free seeds in the mails. They are parsley and basil. I have planted them in a window box which I have near the back door where they get some sun - it is summer here in Western Australia and it gets very hot. The little seedlings emerged about a week ago, Parsley first and then the Basil popped up. Both were coming along really well. That is until the rotten birds came along and ate half of them.

I'm a little lost as to how to keep them away from my herb seedlings. I do have a cat but he stays inside as I have a Rainbow Lorikeet as well as an Indian Ringneck who are both in large cages near the back door too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Reaction score
As I've been using iridescent holographic bird tape to protect my fruit for the past ten years - I too would agree with headfullofbees - you can't do any better than get hold of some.

However as there are now many copies of the original bird repellent tape which was first developed for use by NASA - that tend to vary in quality and also in effectiveness - as I haven't tried the one recommended here - you may also like to consider trying this one

http://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-TAPE-25-Irri-Tape-Repellent-Ribbon/dp/B000KGYXGQ

which I can highly recommend - as not only is it the one I have used for past 10 years with great success - its actually the original bird repellant tape and also slightly cheaper too :)

Oh and I would just add that although these tapes are very effective - they generally work best when there is a wind blowing or at least a slight breeze - as that is what helps the tapes not only to reflect the holographic shapes that birds don't like but also emit the sound that birds are said to find extremely annoying :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have never had an issue with birds getting at my herbs. Annoying worms yes, but never birds. I find the idea of them picking at seedlings amazing. I would say put some kind of mesh over the baby plants until they are larger since birds aren't the only thing you have to watch out for.

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies :) I thought it was a little unusual that the birds (mainly pigeons) would find them attractive as I've never had a problem with seedlings before. I will look into all that you have recommended and maybe move the herb box away from my caged birds - they might be attracting the pigeons as well ? I will let you know how it all goes ;)

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I've always had this problem. Sparrows just munch on everything, not to mention my dad's chickens. Some of my plants almost died. What I did was to move the plants. Also, I think that my cats are acting like scarecrows because when they are lounging in the garden, the birds and chickens don't go near the plants.

Reaction score
I thought it was a little unusual that the birds (mainly pigeons) would find them attractive as I've never had a problem with seedlings before.

I think that it probably depends where you live - like for instance where I live - its not at all unusual for birds to devour whole fields of young seedlings in a matter of seconds and particularly - sparrows, pigeons, starlings and blue magpies.

So hopefully now that you have moved your herb box to somewhere that the pigeons can't get at it - your young herbs will survive and you will soon be enjoying a plentiful supply of fresh herbs :)

Oh and I would just add that netting doesn't work either - as unfortunately the birds just peck their way through it :(

Reaction score
Hanging old CDs is a popular way to keep birds away. They are highly reflective and scare the birds so they won't eat your seedlings. CDs can also be hung in fruit trees to keep birds away.

You can also get bird netting and form a tent with it over the area where the seedlings are growing. The birds won't be able to get through it to get them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There are places where you can get the hormone scent of certain predators that will keep them at bay. Just make for sure you get male scents and not female, or you'll end up with an even bigger problem. Sprinkle in a few spots around the garden once a week and you should be OK. At least that is what a friend of mine does and it seemed to work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use scrap pieces of plastic gutter screen over my seedlings. Have been doing it for years. You can cut them to fit your containers. They bend well and can be propped up with with just about any kind of short stick to hold in place. You can also raise the height as your plants mature.

Very cheap at hardware stores by the roll. Great for box container herb gardens. Also weather resistant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am old fashioned, I always used black thread strung above the seed bed, the unexpected touch on a wing is what works. However, since our owl died and I dismantled the aviary I have a huge surplus of aviary wire.

Ask a Question