Favorite Roses from around the World

Reaction score
If like me - you too love purple roses - am sure that you will have found that there aren't many to choose from - so here are few more roses with a purple hue - that are well worth considering and known to be good reliable varieties.

The beautiful climbing rose " Veilchenblau "

Rose - Veilchenblau - climber.jpg

" Neptune " compliments both perfectly

Rose - Neptune.jpg

" Twilight Zone " - the offspring of " Ebb Tide " and said to be even more fragrant :)

Rose - Twilight Zone -grandeflora.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really don't like "Veilchenblau", it's too flat, t doesn't even like a rose to me;) Both "Neptune" and "Twilight Zone" are beautiful though.

This is a very helpful picture, you an see a few different varieties of purple roses in it:

MG_3314.jpg

My favorite is "Amnesia":love:. I also really like Cool Water.

Reaction score
Even though I love the coloring of " Veilchenblau " - I'm like you Claudine and not very keen on the shape and yet there are many that love this rose regardless of its shape - because it looks really stunning when seen from a distance :D

Of all the purples there are to choose from - the darker shades would very definitely be the ones that I would choose - so it goes without saying that " Ebb Tide " and " Twilight Zone " are without doubt my favorites - as I just love the rich deep coloring :)

What color to compliment purple roses with - tends to vary from person to person - but as most people like to team pastel shades of white with lilacs and purples - this beautiful pastel white rose looks particularly good with most,

" White Licorice "

Rose - White Licorice.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
"White Licorice" is truly beautiful! It reminds me of another rose with a lovely name, 'Champagne Moment':

rose-2-isn_t-she-l_1922611b.jpg

I find it gorgeous. Since its colors are rather warm, I wouldn't plant it next to purple roses though. I think I would compliment it with orange flowers.

rose-1-champagne-m_1922612b.jpg

Reaction score
I agree with you Claudine - " White Licorice " is a lovely rose in its own right and although one that is a very popular choice for planting with purple roses - I wouldn't want to grow it next to purple roses either :D

Although I'm really quite drawn coloring of " Champagne Moment " with just a hint of apricot - in the first picture - am not so keen on the coloring in the second picture - and talking of pale apricot and lemony colors

How about this one called " The Lark Ascending "

Rose - The Lark Ascending.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
"The Lark Ascending" is very pretty. I love roses with round petals, they look the most elegant.

I found something really weird! This rose is called "Green Eye":

Rose+1+web.jpg

Have you ever seen anything like it? I don't find it pretty at all. I wouldn't want to grow it:eek::eek:

Reaction score
OMG Claudine - its absolutely horrible and would have to agree - that although " Green Eye " is called a rose - to me it doesn't resemble one at all.

It maybe would appeal to those who are searching for green roses - which although there has been quite a demand for them in recent years - no one has as of yet - managed to produce a true green rose and the only ones that I know of that come under the "green" banner and are actually sold as " green roses " are

" Green Romantica " - which is white with green tinged outer petals

Rose - Green Romantica.jpg

" Jade " - which is more of a green hued white rather than green and one that I really quite like :D

Rose - Jade.jpg

" Green Ice " - a miniature white rose with a heavy green tint

Rose - Green Ice.jpg

" St Patrick " - which is a long flowering very disease resistant rose with a slightly lemony hue and green outer petals which get greener as they age

Rose - St. Patrick.jpg

Although a green flowering rose would not be my first choice when choosing a rose - if I was looking for a green rose - I think I would much rather choose one of the above rather than settle for " Green Eye " and think either " Jade " or " St. Patrick " would probably be my favorites :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Green roses look so weird!:LOL: I'm not sure if I like them, but I still would love to grow one, because they're so unique:) "Jade" is my favorite, I think.

I really like "Charles Darwin" rose:

DSC07102.JPG

Reaction score
:LOL: They do claudine and like you I'm not altogether sure that I like green roses - but think part of me must - as given the right situation I think I would probably plant " Jade " or " St.Patrick" - which I think - due to their uniqueness really stand out and definitely be a talking a point.:D

Although I quite like " Charles Darwin " my preference would be for something with slightly pinker tones like this climbing rose - which strangely - even though its an extremely pink rose is called

A Shropshire Lad o_O

Rose - A Shropshire Lad - Climbing.jpg

Rose - A Shropshire Lad.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
A Shropshire Lad is lovely! I have a soft spot for climbing roses. I'd plant them everywhere in my dream garden and I'd let them climb on trees, I'm sure that it would look wonderful.
Here is one of my favorite varieties, Graham Thomas:

Rose+-+climbing01.jpg

graham_thomas_rose_yamada.jpg

Reaction score
Although I too love climbing roses and think they look particularly good when clambering through trees - I normally like to see them in other peoples gardens these days and admire from a distance - as I once had so many of them - that it became a major task to keep them looking their best - particularly as they were the long flowering varieties :D

I've not see the rose " Graham Thomas " before and although the coloring is quite an unusual - I have to say that I prefer the coloring in the last picture.

One of my favorite long flowering climbing roses is this one called " Compassion " which has the most beautiful pink /apricot tinged blooms - that look stunning in every type of light

Rose - Compassion.jpg

Rose - Compassion in garden.jpg

Reaction score
I too have a hocus pocus rose i thought i would share. Hope you all like the pictures. Also, hocus pocus and memphis music are the same exact rose. Only difference is that one man took the rose hocus pocus and illegally re-named it memphis music. Just thought I'd put that out there. Anyways, please enjoy my pics!

20140523_172537_zps3436f3cf.jpg
20140601_115956_zpsc9ee40f6.jpg
20140601_120004_zps166984bc.jpg
20140601_120301_zps9a8dce96.jpg

Reaction score
I too have a hocus pocus rose i thought i would share. Hope you all like the pictures. Also, hocus pocus and memphis music are the same exact rose. Only difference is that one man took the rose hocus pocus and illegally re-named it memphis music. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Firstly I would like to say welcome and of course how lucky I think you are to be growing Hocus Pocus - especially as I know from having tried to find one myself as it is one of my favorite roses too - that they are extremely hard to find.

Gorgeous, gorgeous pics and especially the top one - which is very definitely my favorite as to me it shows just how stunning Hocus Pocus can actually look.

However I have to say that with all due respect - that I think you are mistaken in thinking that Hocus Pocus and Memphis Music are one and the same rose - for the simple reason that - they are both different sizes and both have very different growth habits - as Hocus Pocus is a Hybrid Tea and Memphis Music is a Miniflora Rose - with the latter being an award winning rose bred by the famous rose hybridizer Whit Wells in 2006 - which won many, many awards in its own right between 2005 and 2009 :)

Reaction score
Well thank you very much for your response. Yes, it is one of my all time favorites as well.

But about the hocus pocus and memphis music rose, i actually am 100% correct. You see whit wells actually did own at one time a hocus pocus rose. He then proceeded to take cutting from the rose and turn them into exact clones. Sadly, one of his cutting didn't grow so well and had very back characteristics such as small growth habits including small leaf and flower size. After letting this uniquely deformed rose grow into a mature rose bush. He then continued to do the same method as for the hocus pocus; taking cuttings and getting more clones. Then VOILA a new rose was sort of born. These smaller versions of hocus pocus were given to a couple growers and nursery owners after whit wells had patented them as his own (which is illegal since this form of rose has already been patented) naming them Memphis music. So as you see, they are one in the same, just deformed and manipulated with smaller growing habits. If you still don't believe me, please don't hesitate to contact another very prominent rose grower Dave Bang. He himself and many others will 100% support this claim to be true. Whit Wells himself had told Dave Bang so. His email is (e-mail address removed). Sorry to respond back with such persistence, but when i know im right, im right.

By the way, are you looking to buy a hocus pocus/memphis music rose? I know where to get them!

Ask a Question