Modern cuisine and your favorite dish(es)!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
One of the UK most revered cooks says that she's not impressed with modern cuisine which probably influenced by the French is served with tiny potions, not enough to lodge in your teeth (good for the teeth!) and yet looks very restrained with tiny drops of balsamic sauce, one piece of fried shallot, one flat cut carrot called carrot STEAK and a tiny blue but stunning borage flower from the garden and the bill comes up to an eye watering amount.. and you have to join a waiting list for months to enjoy the privilege!

Another interesting thing is that the chefs work very hard and only a tiny dollop of the sauce is used on EACH dish and one piece of a tiny veg is used, but lots of effort put in displaying them and cleaning the dish!

p14-swinnerton-saccapau-a-20170702-870x653.jpg

Or something like this
images

or 55g of salmon as main course.

4748147000000578-5174605-image-a-1_1513161563468.jpg

carrot passed off for steak! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...hef-Professional-tries-pass-carrot-steak.html
And yet the bill is eye watering.

What is your IDEAL version of a lovely meal? Share your photos please! Or get one similar to your favorite dish please!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For me, anything less than this, I wouldn't be happy!

Marbled veins of fat and cooked to rare to medium with freshly ground pepper!

ca-0102-new-york.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One of the UK most revered cooks says that she's not impressed with modern cuisine which probably influenced by the French is served with tiny potions, not enough to lodge in your teeth (good for the teeth!) and yet looks very restrained with tiny drops of balsamic sauce, one piece of fried shallot, one flat cut carrot called carrot STEAK and a tiny blue but stunning borage flower from the garden and the bill comes up to an eye watering amount.. and you have to join a waiting list for months to enjoy the privilege!

Another interesting thing is that the chefs work very hard and only a tiny dollop of the sauce is used on EACH dish and one piece of a tiny veg is used, but lots of effort put in displaying them and cleaning the dish!

p14-swinnerton-saccapau-a-20170702-870x653.jpg

Or something like this
images

or 55g of salmon as main course.

4748147000000578-5174605-image-a-1_1513161563468.jpg

carrot passed off for steak! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...hef-Professional-tries-pass-carrot-steak.html
And yet the bill is eye watering.

What is your IDEAL version of a lovely meal? Share your photos please! Or get one similar to your favorite dish please!
I have come to the conclusion that NO ONE eats like this for the simple reason that if they did they would starve to death. It is all for show. To outdo their peers. To be more hoity toity and try to impress. The only thing I am impressed by is their lack of common sense and their gullibility.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You should have seen all these suited and tied people eating at these Michelin starred eaterie. What irritates me most is the they 5 drops of sauce and yet their chefs are running around like headless chicken, thinking they are doing something great. All very snobby and showy .. There are about 10 ingredients on the plate (eg a fried shallot ring, a few broad beans, two tiny slices of cucumber .. )and none can fill you up for 3 hours. 55g of salmon is nothing as a main course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
no such thing as modern cuisine. just no pixs of food from way back then, and people think their discovering new, when it has already been made back then. the thing bad about modern food is the preservatives used in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Sorry Alp I've been told and it is mostly true, I have a child like palatte. I did want contribute to the thread as I do like to eat and you start some fun posts.

This is a local speciality, Rolled Taco's. A localized version of a Mexican dish. Corn tortillas, with a modest filling of beef (in this case) deep fried. Topped with guacamole, lettuce, chedder & cotija cheese and a salsa fresca. Salsa Fresca is usually Tomtoes, Onions, Peppers and Cilanto. Eat them by hand and usually dip them in a hot sauce bite by bite. These days a potion of 5, which is typical, is about $4.00.

As far a Modern Food... I too am somewhat stumped by it.

800px-Rolled_tacos_san_diego.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry Alp I've been told and it is mostly true, I have a child like palatte. I did want contribute to the thread as I do like to eat and you start some fun posts.

This is a local speciality, Rolled Taco's. A localized version of a Mexican dish. Corn tortillas, with a modest filling of beef (in this case) deep fried. Topped with guacamole, lettuce, chedder & cotija cheese and a salsa fresca. Salsa Fresca is usually Tomtoes, Onions, Peppers and Cilanto. Eat them by hand and usually dip them in a hot sauce bite by bite. These days a potion of 5, which is typical, is about $4.00.

As far a Modern Food... I too am somewhat stumped by it.

800px-Rolled_tacos_san_diego.jpg
Yep, now that is real food

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds deeply satisfying to the palette, adult or child .. Love a hearty meal .. rather than the pretentious 5 drops of treated balsamic vinegar. What upsets me most is the way these chefs run away and end up dishing a teaspoon of sauce, something deeply panfried in BUTTER (I love butter, don't get me wrong!)! and then the bill is astronomical

Here this is exactly the dish shown being prepared

mqs-din-food12_320x399.jpg

What do you think that radish tastes like? Or the basil? Of course the head chef insists on no bruise on the leaves .. and the pea-size white sauce..

£25 for a starter, £15 for a dessert! I am lost for words..

Mind you, his starter is cheap. Some other greedy French man charges £60 for a starter in London! He even gave his staff below minimum wage and all the tips go to he himself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If "modern cuisine" is sushi I'm an old-fashioned gal. Raw fish gets cooked or used as bait!
I love to cook and here are a couple of my favorite things to make:
Beef Stew Gaston, with home-made bread for the juices.
Beef Stew Gaston.jpg

Chicken Florentine.jpg

Chicken Florentine, with home grown spinach.
You'll notice there are no dots of sauce, tortured vegetables, or miniscule portions involved in either dish.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You'll notice there are no dots of sauce, tortured vegetables, or miniscule portions involved in either dish.

That makes me giggle, @marlingardener ! How can chefs justify charging so much for bits of veg, dots of sauce, and a tiny potion of main meat. I then realised that this masterchef competition was actually a free advertisement for the first Frenchman's Christmas menu which I googled. Isn't it fab to have free advertisement for your restaurant this time of the year. Who says the BBC is free of adverts. Adverts like these are so subliminal and powerful. And they named the menu as Saveur du Maison .. Haha! No fool like a snobbish fool!

Your dishes are what I called honest home-made and home spun foods.

Sushi is expensive and not nice at all. I remember this Japanese friend asked me to take her to a Chinese restaurant as she said the Japanese food left her with hunger pangs whereas Chinese foods are delicious and stomach fillers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, I have to admit to being something of a "food snob". I don't like "fast food" as served at McDonalds, Sonic, and other places of that ilk. I have no problem reading reviews of restaurants and deciding if they are trendy, or actually serve good food. I never criticize food served by friends in their home, but have no problem telling restaurant servers or managers just what is wrong with the plate in front of me--cold, under or over cooked, and sometimes not what I ordered.
Often a restaurant's reputation makes the customer think the customer is unsophisticated, lacking a palate, or just didn't understand the menu. Restaurants with a great reputation built that on serving good food, meeting the needs of their clients, and providing good service.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
marlin: You're so brave. I am a bit of a coward. We only criticise it when we are leaving. I don't want anyone to spit into my dish!

You see the 55g of salmon above. On the top of that is some caviar which is frightfully expensive. I wonder how much that is and I don't think that is a starter which costs £25. Imagine my anger when the other French man charges £60 for a starter while giving his staff below minimum wages. Their mentality is that you should count yourself lucky working with our restaurant and he wouldn't share the tips with his poor staff. After a bit of outrage, he apologies and asks his staff to CONTACT him if they have any problems. If a borage flower is an ingredient with two sliced radish halves .. .. there isn't really a lot to line your stomach!

I believe if you love food, you can go through a phase when you think sushi is lovely .. it's all a learning curve. With age and hindsight, we do become wiser. At one point, I was mesmerised with diamonds, sapphires and other semi-precious stones. After learning to use a loupe, I realise that those people selling them are talking rubbish ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love Yorkshire pudding. love using the left over juices from my marbled steak to make one. really don't have a favorite dish, lean toward savory foods.

I love Yorkshire pudding as well. Love the sensation when it's in the mouth.. Apparently, it's very easy to make.

Ask a Question