Modern cuisine and your favorite dish(es)!

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the UK most revered cooks says that she's not impressed with modern cuisine which probably influenced by the French is served with tiny potions, not enough to lodge in your teeth (good for the teeth!) and yet looks very restrained with tiny drops of balsamic sauce, one piece of fried shallot, one flat cut carrot called carrot STEAK and a tiny blue but stunning borage flower from the garden and the bill comes up to an eye watering amount.. and you have to join a waiting list for months to enjoy the privilege!

Another interesting thing is that the chefs work very hard and only a tiny dollop of the sauce is used on EACH dish and one piece of a tiny veg is used, but lots of effort put in displaying them and cleaning the dish!

p14-swinnerton-saccapau-a-20170702-870x653.jpg

Or something like this
images

or 55g of salmon as main course.

4748147000000578-5174605-image-a-1_1513161563468.jpg

carrot passed off for steak! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...hef-Professional-tries-pass-carrot-steak.html
And yet the bill is eye watering.

What is your IDEAL version of a lovely meal? Share your photos please! Or get one similar to your favorite dish please!
A three-gallon bowl of fresh pico de gallo, a one-pound bag of cheap tortilla chips, and four grilled chicken breasts. Also, a gallon of iced tea on the side.

Reaction score
Country
United States
marlin: You're so brave. I am a bit of a coward. We only criticise it when we are leaving. I don't want anyone to spit into my dish!

You see the 55g of salmon above. On the top of that is some caviar which is frightfully expensive. I wonder how much that is and I don't think that is a starter which costs £25. Imagine my anger when the other French man charges £60 for a starter while giving his staff below minimum wages. Their mentality is that you should count yourself lucky working with our restaurant and he wouldn't share the tips with his poor staff. After a bit of outrage, he apologies and asks his staff to CONTACT him if they have any problems. If a borage flower is an ingredient with two sliced radish halves .. .. there isn't really a lot to line your stomach!

I believe if you love food, you can go through a phase when you think sushi is lovely .. it's all a learning curve. With age and hindsight, we do become wiser. At one point, I was mesmerised with diamonds, sapphires and other semi-precious stones. After learning to use a loupe, I realise that those people selling them are talking rubbish ..

15 pieces of sushi isn't a starter, but 45 is. That's why when I go out to eat I almost always choose the Asian buffet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of people are surprised that I like kimchi as much as I do. As it happens, while I do enjoy the flavor and texture a lot, I also first discovered kimchi in the 6th grade when I tried my girlfriend's kimchi at a church potluck (she's Korean). The happy memories are at least as important to me as the delicious taste.

Ask a Question