Modern cuisine and your favorite dish(es)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I've tried to avoid making them though as I know my son would complain about being hungry after the meal.
WHY?

traditionally its suppose to go with a beef dinner, something on the side, as you use the beef dripping for it. sometime I make it for breakfast from saved beef drippings from other days.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
WHY?

traditionally its suppose to go with a beef dinner, something on the side, as you use the beef dripping for it. sometime I make it for breakfast from saved beef drippings from other days.

My son eats a LOOOOOT! For breakfast :eek:? That's a first .. Beef drippings sound yummy. Don't think it's healthy fat though, unlike duck fat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My son eats a LOOOOOT! For breakfast :eek:? That's a first .. Beef drippings sound yummy. Don't think it's healthy fat though, unlike duck fat!

Sweetie,-----Just saying the tradition for Yorkshire pudding is Beef drippings, your only using about 2-3 tablespoons.

Actually goose fat is better than duck fat.

Eating healthy is all about balance. You just showed me a picture of a well marbled steak that you love to eat????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Actually yorkshire pudding was a way of stretching a meal. Flour, milk, water are much less expensive than meat. It was common practice to let family/farm hands fill up on the pud and gravy to make smaller portions of meat seem filling. And then the next day there's the door slab... :) ask one of the Brits about this one :)

Me, I rarely make fussy meals. I like my grub. I like everything but raw tomatoes or kippers. Pretty near everything else is lovely. And I have baked a large supply of good old fashioned Christmas Cake. You know, the stuff that is so heavy, you walk bent over after eating it... but you never get bunged up either :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I love Yorkshire pudding as well. Love the sensation when it's in the mouth.. Apparently, it's very easy to make.

Everything room temp
1/2 cup each milk and water
2 eggs
7/8 cup of flour
Pinch salt

Mix til bubbly

Heat oil or drippings in a baking pan- I use a 12 unit muffin pan and pour a bit of the oil/fat in each one. Heat up in a 400f oven. Add mixture. Shut the door and turn down to 350. Pull out when the edges are brown.
This is the same as the recipe in the Joy of Cooking. And those Bombecks know their business!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
CanadianLori, I love my Joy of Cooking by the Bombecks. I've used so many recipes in that cookbook that the binding is loose, and many of the pages are stained by ingredients. The recipes are great, but the techniques/tips are equally useful.
those Bombecks know their business! Oh yes, they certainly do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Everything room temp
1/2 cup each milk and water
2 eggs
7/8 cup of flour
Pinch salt

Mix til bubbly

Heat oil or drippings in a baking pan- I use a 12 unit muffin pan and pour a bit of the oil/fat in each one. Heat up in a 400f oven. Add mixture. Shut the door and turn down to 350. Pull out when the edges are brown.
This is the same as the recipe in the Joy of Cooking. And those Bombecks know their business!
mine is 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, one cup flour, pinch salt. mix well. pour into a shallow dish of which some fat or oil has been coated, don't disturb the fat/oil. oven is 425, for 20-30 mins. done. yes you can do the muffin tins, I just don't love the full dish look, and we rip off what we want.
think I will make one for breakfast tomorrow.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Although we are Yorkshire born & Bred Bron doesn't make Yorkshire puddings; I buy packs of six from Morrison's supermarket these being very convenient;

https://groceries.morrisons.com/web...303775011&parentContainer=&voucherCode=&dnr=y

Another favourite of ours are dumplings these being made from Morrison's dumpling mix.

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Dumpling-Mix/215375011

Another Yorkshire favourite was Tripe; YUCK I don't even like the look of this let alone attempting to eat it. How about pigs trotters?

I'm much better at eating than cooking; plain honest food for us every time; we never visit restaurants or buy take aways.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
made this morning, in my caste iron skillet, some yorkshire pudding, yummy. some beef drippings, a little butter. smelled great, tasted wonderful.
25394982_10215535731730251_3584877700916287344_o.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I'm not much of Foodie, but I do like watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern; it's a show of how food is prepared and eaten in various cultures.

Just a sample...

I have belonged to two "foodie forums" for over 20 years, members from all over the world, learn a lot from each other, its fun. And have met a few in my travels. we also exchange Christmas gifts every year, as Secret Santa's. never know you gets you till its time to open the gift. could be a gift from Norway, Scotland, or Iceland. There is a structured day to open, so all can see pix of the gifts. its fun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, I'm with you on tripe! Tripa is a Mexican delicacy that I can't even look at, much less eat. The same for pickled pigs' feet. My daddy used to love those, and I'd just leave the room while he ate them.
I got inspired by the soup discussion, and made a pot of split pea soup with smoked ham hocks (I know, hocks are really close to the pig's feet, but at least the hocks aren't cloven).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I like Stuffed Paratha, where stuffing can be anything. Its as versatile as pizza. I tend avoid meat, they increase uric acid. I love Dum biryani (I hate those fried one, too oily). Its a one pot dish, and healthy too because of the varieties of spices.

Ask a Question