My new favorite vegetable- turnips

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
For some reason I can't remember I planted turnips this year. They soon became the boss of the garden. I had turnips by the hundreds. Because of the abundance I started experimenting with them. It seems there are dozens of ways to serve them. I even used them in place of potatoes in potato salad. It was a hit with my family. I have used them in place of noodles in Italian salad. I also made hash browns with them and it was great. I am going to continue to plant them every month to see how they do during a North Carolina winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
All sounds yummy Silentrunning, especially as a potatoe substitute in the salad. May give it a go but I'll have to buy mine. Not great in the veggie patch. Herbs, cherry tomatoes, spinach and silver beet seem to be my limit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, growing up, we never liked turnips--too many ghastly memories of our mothers boiling turnips until they were brown, the house smelled, and the turnips were almost inedible. Then a neighbor gave us a few fresh turnips from his garden. I steamed them lightly and we both had an epiphany--turnips taste good!
I'll have to try some of your ideas since we planted turnips for the last two years and are enjoying them sliced into salads and lightly steamed with a bit of butter and black pepper.
The young leaves are tasty, also. We like to use them as an addition to green salads, and also steamed like spinach. Just make sure you are using the young leaves!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are wonderful mixed with mashed potatoes, or mashed alone instead of mashed potatoes. I like them mixed with - adds a little zing to the potato! (y)

Try some after a slight frost, too. It changes the sugars in the root. I'd like to know your "before and after the frost" opinion! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I like comparing similar used veggies with each other. Just to see which holds the best nutrition and calorie etc. Like for instant sweet potato and pumpkin. Now I can make pumpkin pie. But I can also make a sweet potato pie, or I can make a butternut squash pie. All three, no one would know the difference, but I would and I would chose the one with the best nutritional bang for its buck. Like also, I never buy Ice berg lettuce anymore, not nutritional value, compared to Romaine.., why chew a salad of lessor nutritional value when you can eat one that is better for you. Internet is my friend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It seems that most people think of vegetables as a way to fill the empty space on a plate around the meat. It is good to find people that look at veggies as a true source of nutrition and enjoyment. As my garden grows, I will be experimenting with new plants and new ways to prepare old favorites.

Ask a Question