Favorite summer vegetables

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your favorite summer vegetables to grow? I live in the northeast and my favorites are tomatoes and cucumbers. I think they are also the easiest to grow along with zucchini. I've tried to grow peppers but I only had luck with banana peppers and hot peppers. My sweet ones stay very small and tasteless. Does anyone grow red, yellow and orange peppers? What advice do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried growing peppers, so I can't help you:(
As for your question, my favorite summer vegetables are radishes, I love them more than anything:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Adding to your tomatoes and cucumbers, I like to grow green beans! It is one of the summer vegetables that I love to grow and it is relatively easy for me to grow. I haven't killed any of the green beans that I tried yet :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomatoes were the first plant I learned to grow when I was a kid and they are still my favorite plant for the summer. I also grow green beans during the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Tomatoes have always been our favorites, with green bell peppers a close second. Although peppers are tricky - we have tons of rabbits that love to eat them when I'm not looking. Cucumbers we tried for the first time over the summer, and now I have a freezer full of them hah! Snow peas are quickly becoming one of our favorites as well, but these aren't exactly a summer crop as much as they are an early spring plant. It gets too hot in the summer for them to survive in July and August.

Reaction score
zucchini! It is such good and practical thing to grow. It keeps getting new and new ones and the you find yourself full of zucchinis and don't know what to do with it.
I only recommend one plant for a family of four.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
During summer, what grows naturally in our backyard is squash, red pepper, native spinach and wild cucumber. Most grow from the seeds that we throw. Don't get me wrong, our backyard has grasses that can be considered a lawn although our priority are the edible plants like ginger, lemon, and banana. Here is a photo of our native spinach with the violet flowers together with a native leaf vegetable called saluyot and pandan leaves -
IMG_6919 talinum.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomatoes are a must-have at our house! I have a 2 year old that will eat them every day when we have them. Also, cucumbers, green beans, yellow squash, and corn. I live in Tennessee, so all the hot weather loving plants. My lettuces are usually short-lived here. Spring and fall only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
You are absolutely right about tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini. Since we have similar veggies in garden i can tell you what else i cultivate. Onion and leek are very grateful to any climate and if you manage these three you will be able to cultivate these two as well. Another one i like is potato but it needs a separate piece of land and it is dirty to pick. Corn is another good thing to plant but it is kind of serious thing to cultivate.

Reaction score
Summer vegetables? We always have some pretty sweet tomatoes in the garden though they're considered fruits. My mother grows spinach, onions, parsley and sweet chilis. These are vegetables that are good in oil-based salads which I enjoy.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love courgettes, but this year, the babies have all been kissed by slugs. :banghead: Pepper is difficult to grow in cold weather. You really need heat and sun. A greenhouse might be useful or the Phillipines?! I reckon everything grows in the Phillipines.

I have planted some broad beans and the black critters have had several fields days. The tips look absolutely repulsive. Sugar snap is my favorite - meaty and sweet. This year, I have had lovely lettuces as I mixed my woodash into the raised bed. They were left alone by slugs and snails until last week.

For cold weather, Mizuna can't go wrong. Even though it snowed, they would stand there tall and proud with tons of leaves. Pak Choi, lettuces actually fare better in cooler weather. 26c and they bolt! Kales would also do well in cooler weather. Salad leaves is also my favorite. I am looking forward to my Piel de Sapo and water melon, yellow melons, but I have the feeling that it's not hot enough here.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi alp and the rest of the manure loving gardeners,
Did you know one of the best ways to be kind and kill slugs is to fill a small bowl of Bear /Ale and place a few inches from the plants the slugs love it and enjoy a good night out and then drown :giggle: :giggle: ( What a way to go)

another tried and tested solution to slug/snail problems is a bit more time used making the solution is Garlic liquid, Just boil 1x full garlic and then when boiled for a few minutes until softer rather than harder crush all the Garlic and let it stand in the water for a while and then sieve through a strainer, use two table spoons per pint of this watered solution and pour a little of this around each plant "not to much and not to close to the plants stems, Keep a top on the bottle and store for further use, it keeps for ages,
The slugs/snails can't stand the smell,
The crushed garlic need'nt go to waste wipe it around the outsides of plant pots you intend to leave outside, again slugs etc wont climb up the pots trying to get inside and eat the young plants,

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi alp and the rest of the manure loving gardeners,
Did you know one of the best ways to be kind and kill slugs is to fill a small bowl of Bear /Ale and place a few inches from the plants the slugs love it and enjoy a good night out and then drown :giggle: :giggle: ( What a way to go)

another tried and tested solution to slug/snail problems is a bit more time used making the solution is Garlic liquid, Just boil 1x full garlic and then when boiled for a few minutes until softer rather than harder crush all the Garlic and let it stand in the water for a while and then sieve through a strainer, use two table spoons per pint of this watered solution and pour a little of this around each plant "not to much and not to close to the plants stems, Keep a top on the bottle and store for further use, it keeps for ages,
The slugs/snails can't stand the smell,
The crushed garlic need'nt go to waste wipe it around the outsides of plant pots you intend to leave outside, again slugs etc wont climb up the pots trying to get inside and eat the young plants,

For that reason, I actually bought 4 cans of beer. Might give garlic crush a go.

Ask a Question