Your favorite herb(s)?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We have superfoods such as broccolis, kales ... We have super herbs as well.

I have used quite a bit of turmeric for its anti-inflammatory power..

What are your favorite herb(s) and how do you use it/them please?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
(y)In the past, i've used herbs as a hair rince. Give it a bit of colour, especially sage, rosemary and nettles.:)Rosemary supposed to make your hair grow.(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I use rosemary for roast potatoes, Bay too.

Did they really give your hair colour, @Logan or is it shine?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I love herbs, and use them almost daily. Basil in tomato/basil butter to top steaks and chops; oregano in oregano onion bread, and in tomato sauces; sage for stuffings and sprinkled on top of pork; parsley all over; and bay leaves either fresh or dried in stews and soups. My lemon grass died off and I'm hoping to replace it in the spring. About the only herb we don't like or use is cilantro.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You don't like Coriander, @marlingardener ? I love it, but too much is too strong and son turns his nose up as if it were a kind of stench.

I love basil and yet seldom have chance to use it. Bought one in a pot and today had to chuck it as it was covered with bugs. My favorite is really rosemary because of its aroma and now I add turmeric to almost everything, hoping it would work its magic for my inflammed knees. I have also used cinnamon on my sad seedlings and today's inspection seems to confirm that it is working. Love the aroma of lemon grass and kaffir leaves, but failed to get the kaffir leaf seeds to germinate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I forgot to mention rosemary--which we love. I make Pan Marino (rosemary bread) and use the larger stems as skewers for chicken, vegetables, and pork on the grill. A sprinkling of rosemary on the hot coals adds flavor, too.

Cilantro to me tastes like dish soap. I've really tried to like it since it is an ingredient in so many Tex-Mex dishes, but I just can't handle the taste. I guess I'm an omnivore with one exception--cilantro!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to mention rosemary--which we love. I make Pan Marino (rosemary bread) and use the larger stems as skewers for chicken, vegetables, and pork on the grill. A sprinkling of rosemary on the hot coals adds flavor, too.

Cilantro to me tastes like dish soap. I've really tried to like it since it is an ingredient in so many Tex-Mex dishes, but I just can't handle the taste. I guess I'm an omnivore with one exception--cilantro!

Yes, there is something very rustic and homely and robust about rosemary .. Love the aroma in the kitchen when we have a roasted chicken, talking of which, I have to go up the road to get some broccoli..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Fenugreek!!
I love herbs....... especially ginger, garlic and holy basil....... but nothing beats fenugreek for me.
I absolutely love the aroma of dired fenugreek leaves in stews, curries, soups, salty biscuits, puffs etc.
Fresh fenugreek leaves taste totally different and make excellent veggies.
And the seeds are perfect to cure fever and sour throat and extensively used in folk medicine, perticularly to keep diabetes and to stimulate milk production in breastfeeding women

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Vishu1708 I must see if i can get fenugreek seeds.. Sounds so nice. The fenugreek seeds in pots sold in shops are viable as seeds for germination, @Vishu1708 ?

I wonder what holy basil is. I know what basil is!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
You really should try, @alp !!
I really cant say.... you can give them a shot.
Holy basil is Ocimum tenuiflorum. It is a perinneal basil. Its draught tollerant and used a lot in ayurveda(traditional indian medicines) and thai cooking.
It pairs up very well with ginger when added to tea.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What health benefits are there for fenugreek? Can you take a pic of the seeds please so that I can compare with those sold in big supermarkets. Only very big supermarkets stock them here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
What health benefits are there for fenugreek? Can you take a pic of the seeds please so that I can compare with those sold in big supermarkets. Only very big supermarkets stock them here.
Good for digestion, cure for indegestion, controls cholestrol and diabetes, decreases inflamation in body and promotes milk flow in breastfeeding women.
The seeds are of yellowish color...... i will click a pic when i go back home, day after tom.

Ask a Question