Favorite Herb?

Reaction score
What's your favorite herb to grow? I love garlic but ironically I haven't grown this much often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's hard to pick just one...but I think that I like mint the most. I love its scent and that it grows pretty fast. Also, what is important to me, I find the plant really pretty:)

Reaction score
It is so hard to pick just one. I love the smell of my rosemary bush but I think I use my basil the most. It seems like more of my cooking has basil in it than anything else. We use a lot of garlic but sadly we have to buy this at the farmers markets because I have yet to grow any. Id love to learn how though.

Reaction score
Currently, mine is chocolate mint. It smells delicious, and I'm saving it all to dry for tea this winter. Hopefully it'll taste as delicious as it smells!

But it's a hard choice - I just love herbs of all sorts. They are beautiful and fragrant, and I couldn't imagine having a garden without them! My favourite for looks right now is my variegated sage - it has yellow and pink tones, and is just amazing.

Oregano has to take the prize for most determined. I planted a lovely little plant in my vegetable garden, which was happily shaded by my zucchini, and grew happily. Then the next thing I know, my zucchini plant ran right over it and squashed it into the soil! but it never gave up, and now my zucchini is done, but the oregano is still going strong. :)

But yea, loopyloo, I use my basil the most too. I have several varieties, and love them all. It's the one herb that I would never want to be without!

Reaction score
Currently, mine is chocolate mint. It smells delicious, and I'm saving it all to dry for tea this winter. Hopefully it'll taste as delicious as it smells!

Ooh! Does it smell like chocolate mint? I might have to get some seeds and plant that in the spring!

Reaction score
Ooh! Does it smell like chocolate mint? I might have to get some seeds and plant that in the spring!
Yes it really does. It has the most delicious smell. I purchased it as a seedling in the spring, but I'm sure you could probably find the seeds for sale. I also planted a pineapple mint, which has a hint of pineapple scent. It is very good in mojitos! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland

Chocolate mint sounds heavenly!:D It's the first time when I hear of it. Mint chocolates are one of my favorite desserts, I would love to have a plant like this. Is it easy to grow? Are the seeds expensive?

Reaction score
Chocolate mint sounds heavenly!:D It's the first time when I hear of it. Mint chocolates are one of my favorite desserts, I would love to have a plant like this. Is it easy to grow? Are the seeds expensive?
It's as easy to grow as any other mint - very easy! I bought mine as a seedling, and just transplanted it into a pot and it's been growing outside happily all summer. It grew one very long, vine-type shoot, which I've tacked down in another little pot, in the hopes that it will grow some new roots and give me a cutting to overwinter. My other mint plants have been very obliging that way!

I don't know if seeds are expensive or not. They are kind of hard to find in my area, but if you live in Europe, I'm sure you have a lot more variety available. Or you can always check online.

Reaction score
I live in Florida and my local Home Depot garden center has chocolate mint, orange mint and pineapple mint plants most of the time. I guess mint likes this climate. I don't know if ginger counts as an herb ,but ginger is my favorite plant that I cook with.

I liked my chocolate mint and peppermint plant, but so did garden pests and something ate my mint plants until they died. So I'm going to wait until I move to try growing mint again.
The yard around my current has more pests and critters than I would probably find on a concrete apartment balcony, so I'll wait before I get any more plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's as easy to grow as any other mint - very easy! I bought mine as a seedling, and just transplanted it into a pot and it's been growing outside happily all summer. It grew one very long, vine-type shoot, which I've tacked down in another little pot, in the hopes that it will grow some new roots and give me a cutting to overwinter. My other mint plants have been very obliging that way!

I don't know if seeds are expensive or not. They are kind of hard to find in my area, but if you live in Europe, I'm sure you have a lot more variety available. Or you can always check online.

Thank you for the information. Yes, I live in Europe, I hope that I will be able to find chocolate mint here. I want to have it in my garden! And in my kitchen!:D

Reaction score
I really like to grow basil. It just keeps on producing and I can throw it into almost anything. It's super low maintenance too! I would love to get better at growing cilantro though, that would be my favorite!

Ask a Question