Your favorite book(s)?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Even now I read at least one book a week....it's my favourite way to chill out!:)

Please share with us your favorite book(s) or books you have (just) read please!

For me, I love The Withered Arm by Thomas Hardy .. The idea of retribution or karma seems to right the wrong... Sadly, this is not true in life!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I came from a family where reading was encouraged. My mother and father used to read 2-3 books a week. Every Monday evening, we would go to the library with my parents. My mother would pick out 4-6 books for her and my father. We, when young, would be ushered into the children's section to pick out a book or two. I don't read as mush now as I did when I was little, but I still love to read when I can find the time. My last two books were:

Killing England by Bill O'Reilly - a real close up and personal look into Washington, Jefferson & Franklin. Great book if you like American History.

God, Faith and Reason by Michael Savage - insights into a lifetime of seeking. Good book.

killing-england-the-brutal-struggle-for-american-independence-by-bill-oreilly-and-martin-dugard.png

51pVQL14-QL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I read from the Bible daily. My favorite book of the Bible is Proverbs. It is filled with great information on how to live a fulfilling life.

For entertainment I like to read Florida mystery books such as the Jessie McDermitt "fallen" series. I read almost exclusively on my Kindle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
My favorite book(s)? The one in my hand, with my finger stuck in it for a bookmark while I wander around the house! I usually have two books going at once. I think my favorite of all time is Douglas Southall Freeman's Lee, with anything by Agatha Christie being a close second.
I've read voraciously since I was five and rarely find a book I can't finish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't have favorite book(s), but I do like a good read...

Right now I'm reading about George Washington Carver. I've only found one book so far, but looking for others; the title of this one is:

George Washington Carver
His Life & Faith in His Own Words

Author: William J. Federer

I never knew just how incredible his life was and the impact he had on Agriculture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I read from the Bible daily. My favorite book of the Bible is Proverbs. It is filled with great information on how to live a fulfilling life.
that is a wonderful habit to get into. I think I will go back and look at Proverbs.

in general, really don't have time to just sit and read, after I get home its making supper, tidy up, stuff around the house etc. weekends its gardens, errands etc. my down time is some TV for an hour and then off to bed. I do find a book to take when on vacation.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There is a series of five books written by David Eddings called The Belgariad. He wrote another series of five called The Mallorean. There are two books which go with them called Polgara and Belgarath. I love those books! :love:

A boy grows into a man while fulfilling a prophecy. Magic and love stories, wonderful characters; foul villains and engaging heroes, all written with a sense of humor!! Definitely worth the read!! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
anyone venturing to travel to this area, and love books, must stay here. been there twice. hope to again one day. make sure you see pixs of all the rooms. I love this place, to me the best B&B around, and been to a few. good food, great guests to meet. wonderful location.

http://www.sylviabeachhotel.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I love to read, have been a reader all my life. Now days my reading time is mostly spent around horticulture.

If you want a stay up half the night reading, can't put it down, what the.... kind of book. Read "Aztec" by Gary Jennings. Most entertaiing book I ever read, not for the faith of heart.

My favorite author in general is Paul Theroux. His non fiction travel books are fantatsic as is most of his fiction. For non fiction, "Riding the Iron Rooster", for fiction "Mosquito Coast".

My obscure selction would be "Two Prisoners" by Lajos Zilahy. A WW1 story, an english translation from Hungarian. Not a war story per se, very personal stories when it all comes down to it.

So many other books I've loved.

Oh and reading "Cannery Row" by John Steinbeck while on vacation in Monterey (the central location of the novel in years past) was really great. I would read in the evening and walk the same streets and see some of the same sights as are in the book. I really like most of his books in general.

For some reason as a younger man I was quite taken with the books by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My favorite book(s)? The one in my hand, with my finger stuck in it for a bookmark while I wander around the house! I usually have two books going at once. I think my favorite of all time is Douglas Southall Freeman's Lee, with anything by Agatha Christie being a close second.
I've read voraciously since I was five and rarely find a book I can't finish.

I can't read two books at once like you, although I have friends who can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There is a series of five books written by David Eddings called The Belgariad. He wrote another series of five called The Mallorean. There are two books which go with them called Polgara and Belgarath. I love those books! :love:

A boy grows into a man while fulfilling a prophecy. Magic and love stories, wonderful characters; foul villains and engaging heroes, all written with a sense of humor!! Definitely worth the read!! (y)

I'll have to look these books up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would read in the evening and walk the same streets and see some of the same sights as are in the book. I really like most of his books in general.

Must be amazing experience! Surreal even!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've not read a book in years but I do subscribe to "Fine Woodworking" magazine.

Favourite books though just a sample;

Turning & Mechanical Manipulation by Holtzapffel. Five volumes.

Advanced Machine Work by Robert H Smith.

The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking by Charles Krenov.

I now tend to learn from YouTube videos and also forums such as this forum. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question