Bitter Gourd: My Favorite Vegetable

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
As you can read in the title, my favorite vegetable is the Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon in some places. Many people would find it weird, as they know that bitter gourd is bitter to the taste. But for me, I really like its bitter taste. I also love the bitter gourd because of its many health benefits like anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, antioxidants, good for stomach problems, immune booster, good for the heart, and many other health benefits. I like it best when sauteed with tomatoes and eggs. For the leaves which is good in treating anemia, I just boil them and make a salad with raw tomatoes, onions, and salted eggs.

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the bitter gourd. Is it something that is often grown or sold in the US? Sounds pretty interesting and I'd give it a try if I found it in the store.

Here, when someone says "Gourd" we think of a squash like vegetable that actually can't be eaten as it is extremely hard, but its shell can be used to make rattles or other crafts. They are often used as table decorations. Is this vegetable actually more like a melon than a gourd?

Rub

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
The seeds of the gourd is useful against your parasites in your body. I mean intestinal worms. Additionally, the seeds of the gourd help loosing your weight. Unfortunately, people don't plant it in our area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have only had bitter gourd once, at the home of a friend whose family is from India. Someone told me about the benefits of it for fighting diabetes and it seemed like something good to incorporate into the diet. I read about it and learned some of the bitter can be cut with lemon juice, but it's not something you see at the markets here. A while ago, there was a strange flower growing on a vine on the fence line at my mother's home, that members here identified as belonging to bitter gourd. I'd hoped the vine would self seed and grow back, but it never did.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I am not familiar with the bitter gourd. Is it something that is often grown or sold in the US? Sounds pretty interesting and I'd give it a try if I found it in the store.

Here, when someone says "Gourd" we think of a squash like vegetable that actually can't be eaten as it is extremely hard, but its shell can be used to make rattles or other crafts. They are often used as table decorations. Is this vegetable actually more like a melon than a gourd?

Here is a picture of a bitter gourd. Hope you can find it in your place as this vegetable is really good for the body.
bitter-gourd.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here is a picture of a bitter gourd. Hope you can find it in your place as this vegetable is really good for the body.
bitter-gourd.jpg

I'm told there is an international market where you can find everything, but it's a little out of the way so I've never been. More and more foods from other cultures are finding their way into our local markets though, so maybe it is just a matter of time, especially since they are so healthy. I am not diabetic, but I tend toward anemia so maybe I should look for the leaves.

Do you grow it at home, Asereht1970?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Some members of my family absolutely love bitter melon, especially in stir-frys. Personally, I just can't get past the strong tangy bitter taste when I bite a chunk of bitter melon in a dish. It may just be an acquired taste that takes time as I never really had bitter melon while I was young.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some members of my family absolutely love bitter melon, especially in stir-frys. Personally, I just can't get past the strong tangy bitter taste when I bite a chunk of bitter melon in a dish. It may just be an acquired taste that takes time as I never really had bitter melon while I was young.

When I had it, it had been sliced somewhat thinly, battered and then fried. Maybe you would like it better if you used lemon to cut the bitterness either before or after cooking. It seems like something we should all at least try and eat on an occasional basis simply because of it's health benefits.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When I had it, it had been sliced somewhat thinly, battered and then fried. Maybe you would like it better if you used lemon to cut the bitterness either before or after cooking. It seems like something we should all at least try and eat on an occasional basis simply because of it's health benefits.

Thanks for the tip, lemon or lemon juice may make the bitter melon more palatable. Also, I'm always open to having things deep-fried! If there's one way to make anything taste good, it's deep frying it. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip, lemon or lemon juice may make the bitter melon more palatable. Also, I'm always open to having things deep-fried! If there's one way to make anything taste good, it's deep frying it. :)

LOL, I suppose that is why we keep seeing more and more things that are battered and fried, from snickers to cheesecake. I have to admit though, I had a slice of avocado served to me at a restaurant that was battered and fried and it was delicious! I don't think I'll ever forget that unusual experience, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never tried a bitter gourd before, but I bet it would taste good in a salsa or a tomato based dish. What do you make to go with it, or how do you prepare it? I am interested in any food that helps fight against cancer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We knew these as bitter melons, and around here the local market are selling them at $5.99 per pound. They are expensive! This summer, my brother grows two vines, and now they are producing the melons. It is true that these melons are very health beneficial as my mom and brother are using them to keep their blood pressure down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten bitter gourd. To be honest, I don't think I'd like it;) I prefer sweet fruits and vegetables. Fortunately, most of them are very healthy too:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We call the bitter gourd ampalaya. In fact, it is the symbol for misers who are bitter with the failures they experienced. So if you are called ampalaya that means you are not happy with your life. I used to hate bitter gourd until I got married and had learned to eat vegetables. We have a dish called Pinakbet where bitter gourd is the main ingredient together with water spinach, okra, string beans and squash. We cannot cook that dish without the bitter gourd because the taste would not be complete.

Ask a Question