Bitter Melon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This year my brother planted two vines of bitter melons in the back of his garage, and they have consistently producing bitter melons all summer long. Since he found out that bitter melons are great in helping with high blood pressure, these two vines are invaluable for both himself and my mom to consume.

You can boil the leaves of the bitter melon to drink everyday to help bringing down your blood pressure. I usually had to go back there and picked the melons and collecting the leaves for my mom. Yesterday, I happened to break one of the melon, and found the inside of the bitter melon so interesting to see.

How many of you can eat bitter melons?
IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2117.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Never hsard of bitter melon IcyBC. Aren't they beautiful? Not bitter to look at. How bitter are they to taste?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They look so pretty! I've never seen a fruit like this in person. What does it taste like? Is it really bitter?
I should start growing this vine for my grandfather, he has a high blood pressure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Bitter melon is one of our favorite vegetables, not for its taste but for the nutrients. We had learned to eat that bitter thing when our parents had forced that to us while we were in grade school. But what we buy is not the ripe one like that in the photo. We prefer the green bitter melon that we slice and sauteed with garlic and onions. When almost cooked, we throw a scrambled egg to mix with the dish and somehow neutralize the bitterness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never hsard of bitter melon IcyBC. Aren't they beautiful? Not bitter to look at. How bitter are they to taste?

I can't eat them as one taste of the broth is too bitter already. My mom and brother are the only ones that can eat bitter melons in the family.

@claudine It is bitter but the health benefits of these bitter melons are fantastic. I can't take it :(

@Corzhens My mom usually juiced them with other fruits, and the dish you've described is one that I also saw her cooked from time to time. I can't get used to the taste!

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for sharing, I had never heard about bitter melons before. When I first read the title of this thread I thought you were talking about the usual melon that went a bit bitter ;) Hehehe! Very interesting to see indeed.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never heard of bitter melons. The picture is pretty, I also thought this was about melons that were not sweet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Trellum and @Pat LOL..I supposed you both are right in that thinking! Yes, it is bitter and it is not sweet. My brother said this type of bitter melon is not as bitter as Indian bitter melons.

The one in my photo was too ripe since it was caught between two fences and we didn't see it until I lifted the leaves. I usually just picked the green ones for my mom.

Reaction score
@IcyBC So your mom and brother consume part of the plant because it helps with blood pressure? I also use a herb plant to help me with my health issues :) I make a smoothie with the prickly pear cactus. I add pineapple, and yes, I swear this helps me control my glucose levels. So far I haven't become diabetic. It's amazing what plants can do for us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@IcyBC So your mom and brother consume part of the plant because it helps with blood pressure? I also use a herb plant to help me with my health issues :) I make a smoothie with the prickly pear cactus. I add pineapple, and yes, I swear this helps me control my glucose levels. So far I haven't become diabetic. It's amazing what plants can do for us!

They eat the bitter melons and also consume the leaves now! Before, they only eat the bitter melons but someone told them to gather the leaves and boil them to make the tea-like to drink.

Eating more plant base diet is really good for us. Your recipe for controlling glucose is fantastic! I might try it since diabetes is also run in my family :(

Reaction score
@IcyBC I use this kind of cactus:

pricklypear_plant.jpg

Just in case you are interested. We get it from the supermarket, already clean and without the thorns. But we used to gather our own in the past and removes the thorns. I have heard that little red fruit (the pear) is very tasty, but that one tends to cause constipation in some. The green part is very good though, I made a smoothie with a few bits of it and some pineapple (to else I can't drink it). At first it's hard to get used to it, if you don't leave it in the blender enough time it will be slimy. But it does work (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @Trellum I have seen the fruits of this prickly cactus in our local market, but I know for sure that it will be hard to find the green part around here, unless I order it online if I could find where to purchase it. Will look into this and thanks again!

Reaction score
@IcyBC That fruit part is very tasty, most people like to eat it ice cold :) But sadly it does seem to cause constipation to most people, the green part does the opposite ;) It has a lot fiber in it. I make my smoothies with honey drop pineapples and it tastes amazing, the sweeter the pineapple the better!

Ask a Question