Gourd differences

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Ya'll, I am new to this Forum..... Can anyone tell me if Luffa gourds and snake gourds are the same thing please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Ya'll, I am new to this Forum..... Can anyone tell me if Luffa gourds and snake gourds are the same thing please?
No, they are not. Not even close. Luffa's are used as sponges and snake gourds are arts and crafts. Snake gourds are normally larger and a lot more twisted than luffa's.

where in west texas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, they are not. Not even close. Luffa's are used as sponges and snake gourds are arts and crafts. Snake gourds are normally larger and a lot more twisted than luffa's.

where in west texas?
I am in West Texas near Odessa/Midland area

Thank you for your answer....... I ordered Snake gourd seeds and I had Luffa gourd seeds so I planted my luffa seeds and about 35 to 40 feet apart I planted the supposed Snake gourd seeds and they look identical no difference at all. Did I get taken?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Thank you for your answer....... I ordered Snake gourd seeds and I had Luffa gourd seeds so I planted my luffa seeds and about 35 to 40 feet apart I planted the supposed Snake gourd seeds and they look identical no difference at all. Did I get taken?
The reason I asked where you are located is that I have some relatives living in Midland.
Most gourds seeds are very similar, like cucumber seeds are very similar. In fact they are distantly related to cucumbers. You may have been taken and all you can do is wait and see. IIRC luffa seeds are a dark color and snake seeds are light to tan color but different varieties will probably have different colored seeds. The following link might be of help.
http://innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/various-gourds/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

The reason I asked where you are located is that I have some relatives living in Midland.
Most gourds seeds are very similar, like cucumber seeds are very similar. In fact they are distantly related to cucumbers. You may have been taken and all you can do is wait and see. IIRC luffa seeds are a dark color and snake seeds are light to tan color but different varieties will probably have different colored seeds. The following link might be of help.
http://innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/various-gourds/

I too have relatives in Midland and Odessa.
My so called snake gourds are grown and they look just like a luffa, I have both fruits grown and drying already and there is no difference between them, both have very thin skin and both are a luffa inside, I guess I was taken by a seller. Oh well live and learn. Thank you for all your replies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I too have relatives in Midland and Odessa.
My so called snake gourds are grown and they look just like a luffa, I have both fruits grown and drying already and there is no difference between them, both have very thin skin and both are a luffa inside, I guess I was taken by a seller. Oh well live and learn. Thank you for all your replies.
Well, at least you have some good sponges. Snake gourds are a pulp inside while luffas are fibrous.

Ask a Question