BIG Squash Harvest & Pumpkins, Melons, Gourds, Acorn growing FAST!

Reaction score
Today James walked all the way to my grandparents' house to pick these yellow squash from our garden. There must be over 20 large squashes in the crate, weighing over 10 lbs. At the groceries stores, this harvest of 10-15 lbs organic non-gmo yellow squash would cost $20-30.

June 28th 2015 yellow squash harvest

June 27th 2015 harvest

Four days ago, we harvested a big bag of yellow squash, but not quite as many as we harvested today.

June 24th yellow squash harvest

Along with the yellow squash, We have also harvested peppers and tomatoes.

June 26th 2015 pepper & tomato harvest

June 28th harvest

Several days ago I showed you pictures of the pumpkins, acorn squash, and butternut growing in the garden. After only two days, these fruits have tripled their size. You can compare sizes from the pictures I posted at Late June 2015 garden update, and the ones I took today, which you can see below. I wanted to also show you the progress on the melon patch. I'm telling you--hugelkultur mounds are perfect for growing melons and big fruits like squashes. I think I am growing successfully, more productive, larger fruits than all other years of growing food because I am using hugelkultur.

watermelon

cantaloupe

cantaloupe

acorn squash

pumpkins

Other exciting happenings in the garden were that the the figs are finally making fruit. Some friends that live in California were already getting figs months ago, so I was quite worried that none of the fig trees would produce this year. Thankfully I found many figs forming, and a couple that were getting bigger by the day.

Chicago Hardy Figs

Chicago hardy figs

Also, the Birdhouse gourds plants are flowering. I noticed the Gourd's flowers opened right before it got dark outside. I suspect they get pollinated by moths. Apparently, hard skinned gourds bloom in the evening and at night. I have read that many flowers that bloom at dusk are white flowers, like the gourd flowers you see below. Another thing I noticed was that over night (the following day) the gourd's flowers wilted and whithered away in the morning time.
"As with other members of the Cucurbitaceae family, these plants can have trouble with pollination. If pollinators are not abundant in the area, you may have to pollinate by hand, by removing the male blossoms and dusting them onto the female blossoms.
You can also take a Q-tip or small paint brush, rub some pollen from the male flower and put it on the female" (Gardening for life).

Original post @ BIG Squash Harvest & Pumpkins, Melons, Gourds, Acorn growing FAST!

-Cassie K

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Wow, your photos are great. Once we had a wild squash that grew in the backyard maybe from a thrown seed. It was hale and I was sure it would bear fruit. The flowers of the squash can be eaten but we didn't harvest it for we were awaiting for the fruit. And it did have 2 fruits. Unfortunately, a borer insect got ahead of us so the fruit did not really grow to the point of being harvested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten yellow squash, it looks really delicious. Same goes for the rest of your fruits and vegetables. They're so healthy and big! I wish I could grow watermelons in my climate:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonderful yields!
Am I to understand you're in the Chicago area and already getting all of these fruits and vegetables? If so, we need a genuflecting smiley.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a wonderful and fantastic harvest so far already! Yellow squash is one of my favorite vegetables to make soup with, or just sliced and roasted in the oven. You have a great harvest now and in the future.

Reaction score
What a wonderful and fantastic harvest so far already! Yellow squash is one of my favorite vegetables to make soup with, or just sliced and roasted in the oven. You have a great harvest now and in the future.

I like to spiralize yellow squash for mixed with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers from the garden with a little tahini and avocado to make a salad ;)
And yes we love fried yellow squash over white rice :)

Reaction score
Wonderful yields!
Am I to understand you're in the Chicago area and already getting all of these fruits and vegetables? If so, we need a genuflecting smiley.
I am located in Kentucky. The figs are called "Chicago hardy figs".

Reaction score
I've never eaten yellow squash, it looks really delicious. Same goes for the rest of your fruits and vegetables. They're so healthy and big! I wish I could grow watermelons in my climate:)
I'm not sure many farmers where I live grow big melons, but some have success--especially the smaller melons like cantaloupe.

Reaction score
Wow, your photos are great. Once we had a wild squash that grew in the backyard maybe from a thrown seed. It was hale and I was sure it would bear fruit. The flowers of the squash can be eaten but we didn't harvest it for we were awaiting for the fruit. And it did have 2 fruits. Unfortunately, a borer insect got ahead of us so the fruit did not really grow to the point of being harvested.
Volunteer plants, ones that re-seeded from last years fruits, grow the best because they're acclimated with the conditions of the soil, pests, and weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I noticed this morning that we have squash growing at the side of our house so I took the liberty of photographing it for posting it here. The squash vine is what I'm holding and at the left is the hot pepper that is red when ripe while on the right is the lemon bush that has flowers. And since squash here in our yard does not bear fruit, we just harvest the flowers for mixing in vegetable dish.
IMG_4498 squash.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks very healthy:) Why doesn't it bear fruit?
Have you ever eaten stuffed squash flowers? I heard they're super delicious:)

Ask a Question