Luffa (loofah) Gourds ready to harvest (& Fall Halloween scene/setting)

Reaction score
I thought I was not going to get any luffa fruits because they had a late start, and they began flowering so late in the summer. To my surprise, after a cold front and rainy day last week, I found several Luffa gourds dangling along the vines on the (rain barrel) trellis.

With these, I will dry the gourds to use as luffa scrubs and save the seeds for growing next year.

The Luffa gourds are an addition to my Fall/Halloween scene/setting with a homemade scarecrow that holds a sign saying "Happy Harvest" over an arrangement of Chrysanthemums and Aster flowers, pumpkins I grew, and some pumpkins I bought, and the cushaws that were donated to us.

Original post @ Luffa (Loofah) Gourds ready to harvest (& Fall Halloween scene/setting)

-Cassie Kinney

Reaction score
I love your autumn/halloweenesque decorations :) Thanks a lot for sharing those pictures with us, but after checking every post with pictures from you... I can help but to wonder? What state are you living in exactly? By the way, I had never seen those fruits before, it looks like a really good harvest :) What do you guys do with them once you harvest them??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We also plant gourds here but this year we didn't due to the pests. The borer would create small holes in the fruit and when we harvest, the inside is not palatable anymore, turned brown instead of white. Maybe next year we could plant gourd again. It is easy to grow and so fast to bear fruit. No fertilizers, just plain irrigation and the gourd will bless you with its fruits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh they are gorgeous! Looks so beautiful and I love your Halloween decorations!

Reaction score
I have updated the post, so please check back to the original to watch the video of me showing the luffas, or you can go to my youtube channel at youtube.com/sillybunnns and look for my most recent video "BIG Luffa (loofah) gourds"

Reaction score
I love your autumn/halloweenesque decorations :) Thanks a lot for sharing those pictures with us, but after checking every post with pictures from you... I can help but to wonder? What state are you living in exactly? By the way, I had never seen those fruits before, it looks like a really good harvest :) What do you guys do with them once you harvest them??
Dry them on the vine to use them as a loofah scrub. And I live in kentucky, USA. (zone 6, mid-Atlantic region)

Reaction score
Dry them on the vine to use them as a loofah scrub. And I live in kentucky, USA. (zone 6, mid-Atlantic region)

Thanks, Cassie, I was just curious and I think I have now heard it all! So, you can dry those and use as a loofah scrub, boy... there is so much I don't even know D:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your scarecrow looks really funny and cute, I like the whole Fall/Halloween setting. It's very nice:)

Ask a Question