What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I had to look that up. I didn't know the Judas tree is a redbud. We have one of them in our front yard.

Oh, please show us a pic. I had tried to raise it from seeds. Of course, it ended in tears. They are selling it £5 each, but postage is ghastly. Now I might buy one from fle.. but they are only small. I so want one , pink or red, but the colour is sooo striking ..

I also tried to raise protea from seeds. Had one that germinated and yet it still had one pair of leaves after a long time and then I lost my interest as the pair of leaves looked forever the same .. and that's the end of that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I checked my pictures, and I don't have one of it. I can take a picture, but it has no leaves right now. It is gorgeous in the Spring with all the pink buds. I planted it as a tiny little sapling about 11-12 years ago. It must be 20 feet tall now.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MoonShadows - It's pink or Reddish. How long did it take it to flower please? I am thinking of buying one. That's what they said, it's only a tiny plant and it needed to be brought on..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@alp - It's a deep pink. It flowered the first Spring. The pink buds last about 2 weeks. When they start to fall off, the leaves emerge....a beautiful green foliage that turns yellow in the Fall.

Here is a picture of ours back in 2008 when it was just a couple of years old taken in early Fall just as the leaves were beginning to turn yellow. In this picture, it is probably about 6 feet tall.
000_0002.jpg

And, here it is today...I just ran out in my slippers in 24F temperature to take these! It is easily 20 feet tall and 20 feet wide. Notice all the multiple "trunks" at the bottom. When I first bought it, I was so disappointed that it only had one trunk. I had always seen them with multiples...they develop as the tree matures.
100_0112.jpg

100_0113.jpg

This one is not ours, but this is the color of the buds in Spring.
2b74ccd7fc8a0e68d06e7a5b30eb7ca6.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just bought a new LED grow light for my kitchen garden. The one I have now is a combination of 2 - T4's and a few cheap LED grow strips. I've burned through 2 sets of these grow strips in just over a year, so I decided to invest in a Lucky Leaf Commercial Grade 33" LED grow light...guaranteed for 5 years. It has a 50,000+ hour minimum lifespan, so even if I leave it on for 16 hours a day, it should last over 8 1/2 years. Got 10% off with a coupon code just for asking for it! This one will replace both sets of lights I have over the garden now. Here's the Lucky Leaf site: https://www.happyleafled.com/

Store_Procyon_Large_8.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, my gawd! Thank you for showing me this. I will buy 2 and put them in the biggest pots I have.. Geeeee! I don't mind the wait as at least there is a chance. I also want a mulberry but am worried that it is another small useless one.

I saw the Judas advert in Radio Times, phoned up and she told me they were small and needed to be brought on 2 for £10 and postage £4.95. And yet on Flea..., £5.99 each including delivery.. Need to buy them now.

Hope you lights are good investment.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MoonShadows Bought them under £10 for 2 .. Wish I could buy a mulberry, but worried that it is another one with tiny fruit. Can't bear the idea.

I bought a lemon thyme for 99p. 1L pot. Yeah! An oregano for 99p and a Margaret Hunt clematis for £1.49 Very happy! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not at all @alp. It retailed for $179 USD (132.85 GBP). I got 10% off, so I paid $161.10 USD (119.57 GBP). It will easily cover a 4' x 2' area and then some. They do have smaller ones. smaller

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to this forum...but yesterday I bought a Christmas tree shaped lavender. I kill every small pine that I purchase and lavender loves this area...so...it was 12.99, but it is about one and half feet. I spend way too much grocery money on plants, but it is Christmas.

Same here and it is now a disease or illness for me!

Ask a Question