What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can include gifts or donations from friends/family too. It's good to divide and share(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Planting supply frenzy this weekend, I'm not sure there are any bargains to be found right now! We've probably had our last frost, so everyone is working in the garden planting and the garden centers are all crowded beyond belief today.

Last fall I got a bunch of perennials for 70 percent off. End of year close out sales are awesome, and there's still plenty that can be planted in late fall here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When we first moved into our house we had Rhubarb growing in the very overgrown garden ...and we pulled it all out as I was afraid of the children would get poisoned!!:eek:. That was 32yrs ago and I knew nothing about gardening, as you could tell:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Last deal I got was quite a few months ago. Packed for 20106 seeds at half price. It was a very large assortment of Botanical Interest seeds, including some of the larger mixed flower packs.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My last bargain was 6 petunia plants for £1. As my petunia seeds have been disappointing, I bought some single star ones. Hopefully, I can gather my own seeds, like @johnny canoe . Next year, I can use my own seeds. Nothing to beat fresh viable seeds. I also bought 12 violas for £1. They are 6 different varieties. Very dainty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @alp you found me then:LOL:.

Those Petunias were a good buy, were they from the £ shop..if so then I missed them:cry:.

I normally save my own seeds but for some reason I didn't last year, This year I bought a mixed pkt of seed from Inexcess and sowed them all straight into a big planter. Slow to germinate and to get going , but am trying to stay hopeful.

Violas are so pretty and cheerful looking aren't they:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I always go to DIY gc to get my bargains. The heat stifled the plants some £1 ones were already dead. Some people just chucked the dead ones out and replaced the tray with good ones. I got 5 actually for £1. Loads of dead ones there. Try to go to the DIY store GC as there is no way you can get a tray of 6 plants for £1 in pound shop.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thought it was romantic to get on a bus to go to various places! Oh, no! I waited for half an hour for one bus to come so that I can go to Homebase. Oh, dear! I waited and waited and said to myself - wait for another minute, the bus must come. No, After more than half an hour wait, I jumped on a random bus and changed at the town centre. This bus by passed the diy store and I ended up in my 2nd destination.

Haha, all was not lost.

I've got £1 each foo star striped petunia x2 and 1 x blue - all singles as I want to collect the seeds. Then 2 trays of verbena - one apricoty and one mixed. Well chuffed.
SAM_0179.JPG

Look how good they look! I think there must be a glutton of these and hence sales.. The weather has been awful and that doesn't help.

I also bought 3 compost activators to speed up the process. On the way home, I also waited for more than half an hour. Need a car really as I had to put two trays at the bottom and put a plastic bag in between and then 2 more trays and one tray I had to put it on its side. Hard work. No wonder people say MY OTHER CAR IS A BROOM!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! what a day @alp ........but well worth I would say (y). They look really healthy and lush.....you deserve to be well chuffed:D:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy Get your OH to drive you to B&Q. I think the rotten weather might have slowed down sales. They have 20% bedding plants already. These are from sinbin, not because they are half dead, but because they have too many unsold.

Ask a Question