How much water without drowning? Overflow hole or not?

Reaction score
Country
United States
1st post here. Totally new to gardening. I purchased 2 of the self-watering garden beds at a ridiculously cheap closeout price, and figured I'd take my first steps at growing some vegetables and herbs in them. They are 28 gallon (105L) beds on legs. They measure 44"W x 18"D x 33"H the actual depth of the planting box is a little over a foot. Images hopefully attached properly:rolleyes:.

My questions are: There's no overflow hole. This leads me to thinking there's the possibility that after a good rain or overwatering, I could end up drowning the plants. Should I drill a hole at some height along the side (and use a screen on the hole to keep bugs out)?

I put water in the empty planter to see what it would hold, which might influence as to the height of a hole if you think it's necessary.
The plate has 2 sunken, screened sections. It takes about 2 liters (~1/2 gallon) of water to reach the BOTTOM of the screens. From the bottom of the screens to the top of the plate (which is about 2 inches) is an additional 8 liters (~2 gallons). So, basically 2.5 gallons to the top of the screened plate. If I fill the planter to where the red line on the float gauge shows, I'm at about 3" to 4" above the top of that screened plate, which seems to me to be too much water, and might drown the plants, but as it's my first foray into growing veggies, I don't really know!!!!!

I've done some reading on Earth Boxes, and they seem to have drain holes situated just slightly BELOW the plate, to allow there to be an air layer inside the box between the roots and the water. Is this a necessity, as my boxes have absolutely no air hole/overflow drain?

Thoughts? Holes, no holes? Above plate, below plate?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20240426_221533087.jpg
    PXL_20240426_221533087.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240426_221636441.jpg
    PXL_20240426_221636441.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I did get a chuckle from your name and then realized there is no way that you can be serious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes you can drown the roots if they just sit in water and a valid reason to be concerned. I don't see why you can't drill one little overflow hole. Pour enough water in there to raise the water level gauge to full and then drill the hole slightly above that level. If for some reason that doesn't work out and you wished you hadn't done that, put a stainless bolt in the hole and seal it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes you can drown the roots if they just sit in water and a valid reason to be concerned. I don't see why you can't drill one little overflow hole. Pour enough water in there to raise the water level gauge to full and then drill the hole slightly above that level. If for some reason that doesn't work out and you wished you hadn't done that, put a stainless bolt in the hole and seal it.
With the gauge reading full, it looks like the water level will be about 3 to 4 inches above the top of the plate, and about 5 to 6 inches above the bottom of the reservoir mesh.

Ask a Question