Anyone know what might have happened to my squash?

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I transplanted a couple of squash plants (zuccini) from tiny modular trays to larger pots (planning to transplant again into the garden later) ... but something went wrong. They were both looking super nice and healthy in their teeny little modular trays, but now the stem seems to have shrivelled up to just a stringly little thin strand.

I don't expect these plants will make it, unfortunately. But anyone got any ideas what might have caused this? Could it be that I had them outside during the days (to try and give them more sun, but the temperature is only just over five degrees C), or maybe that I added some fertalizer to the bottom of these new pots (just a sprinkling of chicken manure pellets mixed with the soil at the bottom) ... or is it just that I misandled the roots a bit when transplanting them ... ?

squash.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Cut all but the newest, smallest leaf off and wait a week. It could just be transplant shock.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1) Don't move seedlings outside until weather has warmed up.
2) Whenever you transplant, it's always a good idea to cover the plant/shade it from sunlight for the first three days. This allows the plant to focus on its roots rather than expending energy on photosynthesis.
3) Squash plants (and other cucurbits --- watermelon, melons, pumpkins, etc) don't like being transplanted. Best to start them inground, whenever possible.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
1) Don't move seedlings outside until weather has warmed up.
2) Whenever you transplant, it's always a good idea to cover the plant/shade it from sunlight for the first three days. This allows the plant to focus on its roots rather than expending energy on photosynthesis.
3) Squash plants (and other cucurbits --- watermelon, melons, pumpkins, etc) don't like being transplanted. Best to start them inground, whenever possible.
Thanks for all that advice! Much appreciated.

Ask a Question