Does anyone know what these eggs might be from, they're in my worm bin?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not necessarily worried about them, but I'd like to understand. They didn't look like worm cocoons when I looked up what those are supposed to look like. I guess they'd be maybe mites? But they look pretty big to be mite eggs. I can say they were growing in the one little space where there was no bedding. So it's something I think that likes to live on the surface or in dryer areas. There's a lot of mites in the bins. They showed up after I took a few handfuls of really dark soil I found at my neighbors horse farm. I hope they're not hurting the worms at all. I've had the worms about 2 months now. I can't tell if they're multiplying or not.
20230108_133013.jpg
20230108_133020.jpg
20230108_133030.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They look just like Garden Snail Eggs to me. In any case, now is the time to eliminate them, either by a Neem Oil soil drench or by mechanical means. Those little soil mites are completely harmless.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I remember this thread, but hadn't noticed that. I was so sure that these were just slug/snail eggs, and didn't think any more about it, so I thought I'd try to investigate.
I found this.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1707597854173.png
Then I found this picture which was labelled WORM eggs !!
Where's the OP gone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is an old thread but could this be the culprit?
Any one of those eggs is the size of its body, it couldn't possibly have laid that volume. Might be predating on them though, a slug egg eating spider, how cool would that be?

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Any one of those eggs is the size of its body, it couldn't possibly have laid that volume. Might be predating on them though, a slug egg eating spider, how cool would that be?
I agree. It makes more sense that mama spider is lurking near by hoping for a feast for the entire brood. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I certainly didn't think the spider would be laying the eggs Oliver, that would be a bit like a mouse giving birth to an elephant :giggle: obviously it looks as if it might be grabbing one for dinner.

Ask a Question