How much water for these plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi :)

Purchased a Bamboo Palm and Dracaena Marginata a few days ago. I asked the woman at the nursery how much water and how often, and she said to water once a week. Ok, how much? "well, the roots at the bottom need to get wet". Ok, so about how much do I put in? "Oh, you know... enough, but not too much". I literally asked her four times, and she refused to answer. It seems as tho she either didn't like me, or didn't know. Or maybe both? :/

First off, 1x per week seems to my completely inexperienced self, like not often enough. That true?

Second, how much do I put in? :)

Thanks in advance.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF
It all depends on the season, in summer they'll need more than winter. Feel the top of the soil if it feels dry then water it
Or follow these videos.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Short answer: water until the water runs through the pot. Then do NOT water until the soil is dry when you put your finger into the soil. It should come out clean. Everything depends on the size of the pot, the size of the plant, the temperatures, the season of the year. Water less during the winter when your plant is not actively growing. Over watering kills more plants than anything else.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thx both!

So, my Bamboo Palm seems to be doing ok, but there are several "bad" spots. Anything I can do to avoind this becoming more widespread?

plant.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Plants will naturally have some leaves get old, dry out and die. Keep them trimmed off so your plant looks tidy. If your plant is getting bright indirect light and is watered to meet it’s needs, you will seldom have much die off of leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
The woman at the nursery has learned many moons ago to avoid answering your question. Why, because she had discovered if 100 customers ask her that question she will be wrong 99 times, especially if the plant doesn't die and only becomes ill from someone that recommended a fertilizer or some other fast grow / beauty enhancing solution. So then you turn to a forum for an answer that's impossible to be correct.

So after you've researched all the watering possibilities try this. Set the pot in a container and add the water to the container allowing the soil to wick the moisture it needs up from the bottom. When the top of the soil becomes moist remove the container from the water and any excess will drain. This system may take 2 hours, 6 hours, all day or 2 days but you'll find other things needing accomplished while this slow but sure process takes place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @SeniorCitizen said. It is the only guaranteed way to water. It is impossible to water too much but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. Water doesn't kill or damage a plant. The lack of oxygen is what does this. Watering from the bottom up is also the only way to water root bound plants. Watering from the top down on root bound plants does not always water all of these twisted and compacted roots in a root bound container

Reaction score
Country
United States
For proper care, it is important to know how often to water the dracaena. On average, the interval between watering can be from 3 to 8 days. It depends on the season, room temperature, air humidity and the type of dracaena.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
You can always get a moisture meter. Stick it in the soil and it will tell you if dry, moist, etc. Don't worry if it hits the roots. I have over 50 plants in the house and all have survived this. All kinds of variations. Draceana and Bamboo are hardy, and in fact you can cut back the roots on these if need be for propagation and they live. Draceana are easy to care for and if you forget to water it, don't worry they still love you. If the bamboo yellows, it needs more water and possibly a bigger pot. Cut off all the yellow and that plant will be happy and thrive. Mine is 11 years old and out of control! LoL. I should give it a "haircut"

Attachments

• 20210505_213810.jpg
    20210505_213810.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thx for the replies. Will look into the meter.

The watering from the bottom seems to be working; it's a little more work, but that's ok. Funny, I'd never heard of this technique before.

I have another Q about the bamboo palm. From doing a bit of research, it appears as tho it is happiest in low and indirect light. My palm occasionally gets some direct sunlight when I open the shades of the window it is near. It seems as tho when I do this, some of the leaves turn brown within a few days. Is it the light, or is this just a natural occurrence, and am I just seeing complete coincidence?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Watering house Plants- 21 .JPG
Watering house Plants- 21 .JPG
Leaving for a few days for a short trip, I watered a large poinsettia, 2 baby poinsettias and 3 kalanchoes simultaneously from the bottom in this tray. Some in potting soil and some in mother natures best soil from SandburRanch. Set in water early morning and removed around noon. They evidently all took on the exact amount of water needed while i was attempting to do other tasks because they were all thriving when I returned.

My late Mother in- law taught me this years ago when the wife and I were ask to water a room filled with African Violets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Bamboo does not like alot of light. Place it in a spot in the house where the sun will not hit it.

I actually just started watering one of my plants from the bottom like you are doing.

I forgot to ask. How big are the pots the bamboo and draceana in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Place it in a spot in the house where the sun will not hit it.

Doesn't it need to get hit by some sun? I mean, it still has to photosynthesize, right?

10", I think

Ask a Question