Holiday Avocado help, too much or too little water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Holiday Avocado is struggling, any suggestions appreciated. Went in the ground on May 12th, thought sun was burning it up so I added the 30% shade screen after a couple of weeks but still no better and it dropped almost all of its avocados. Cant tell if it's root rot or under watering.
I recently put in mulch, previously there was none. I've also started using a 0-20gph micro sprinker to try to improved things by spreading out the water, previously was using a 0-14gph 360 dripper. Both were set to about half way for about 30 min 2-3 times per week.
IMG_20180618_194109.jpg
MVIMG_20180618_194120.jpg
MVIMG_20180618_194131.jpg
MVIMG_20180618_194137.jpg

Ni2HjuHcXe6JHXGWA

sdFFVWB4AqUvgUVWA

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
What is that white stuff on the leaves and stem?
Some IV Organics sunscreen/oils paint like substance that I saw on youtube and bought on amazon. I tried to unsuccessfully dilute and spray it on as well but it clogged the spray bottle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some IV Organics sunscreen/oils paint like substance that I saw on youtube and bought on amazon. I tried to unsuccessfully dilute and spray it on as well but it clogged the spray bottle.
I don't think that is causing the drooping leaves but avocados like a lot of sun as they are a tropical plant. I would remove the shade cloth. IMO the cause of the drooping is a water issue. Too much water. They don't like wet feet and watering 2-3 times a week is excessive. A complete saturation every 10 days should be adequate. And it looks as if the soil is saturated now with all of that water draining out onto the concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think that is causing the drooping leaves but avocados like a lot of sun as they are a tropical plant. I would remove the shade cloth. IMO the cause of the drooping is a water issue. Too much water. They don't like wet feet and watering 2-3 times a week is excessive. A complete saturation every 10 days should be adequate. And it looks as if the soil is saturated now with all of that water draining out onto the concrete.
Thanks, i think I will reduce the watering. Wasn't sure what it was and wanted a second opinion before I added more or less water. The shade was recommended for areas above 100 deg, and its been in the high 90's recently. Just trying to prevent burn.

Ask a Question