Hydrangeas wilting no matter how much water I give

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have this one hydrangea macrophylla that is in full sun(9:30AM-4:30PM) and I watered it like 5 times today already yet its still wilting. I also gave tons of water each time. Is this normal for hydrangeas? I know the macrophylla variety doesn't take sun that well but I thought if its constantly moist then it wouldn't wilt? I'm asking because theres no other area in my yard where I can transplant this hydrangea.
PS: I planted this hydrangea around a month and a half ago so its not established yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have this one hydrangea macrophylla that is in full sun(9:30AM-4:30PM) and I watered it like 5 times today already yet its still wilting. I also gave tons of water each time. Is this normal for hydrangeas? I know the macrophylla variety doesn't take sun that well but I thought if its constantly moist then it wouldn't wilt? I'm asking because theres no other area in my yard where I can transplant this hydrangea.
PS: I planted this hydrangea around a month and a half ago so its not established yet.
You are drowning your plant. Plants are supposed to wilt in the heat of the afternoon.
http://www.gardenguides.com/105116-water-hydrangeas.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
That is too much sun for a French hydrangea, which is the common name of what you are growing. Can you plant something taller (a shrub or small tree) that will cast shade on your hydrangea in the afternoon? Otherwise, since you can't move it to another part of your yard, I'd suggest putting up a trellis with a fast growing vine to shade the hydrangea.
Your problem is not lack of water, it's lack of shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Chuck, but the leaves are being scorched and getting all crunchy. If this hydrangea takes repeated full sun will it eventually die or do you think this location is ok?
Marlingardener, well I have a prunus mume tree like 15 feet in front of this hydrangea but that tree isn't big enough yet to provide enough shade, it's providing shade to my other hydrangeas in the front but not this one. And you probably realize now but I have 4 other hydrangeas near this one and an azalea next to it as well so no tall trees to shade it :(
Also I do have one possible location. It's going to be in my backyard under three 20 foot junipers. Do you think planting a hydrangea under these 3 junipers is a bad idea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, but the leaves are being scorched and getting all crunchy. If this hydrangea takes repeated full sun will it eventually die or do you think this location is ok?
Marlingardener, well I have a prunus mume tree like 15 feet in front of this hydrangea but that tree isn't big enough yet to provide enough shade, it's providing shade to my other hydrangeas in the front but not this one. And you probably realize now but I have 4 other hydrangeas near this one and an azalea next to it as well so no tall trees to shade it :(
Also I do have one possible location. It's going to be in my backyard under three 20 foot junipers. Do you think planting a hydrangea under these 3 junipers is a bad idea?
They don't like full sun, so anywhere except where they are now is an improvement. You have probably watered so much that it will be a chore to move it now because of all the mud. I would get some shade cloth and cover it until you can move it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What they all said. :) "Constantly moist" is not optimal for anything short of pond plants, and wilting on a hot day is OK and a normal response.

Coincidentally I was over at a friend's house a few days ago. She has hydrangeas, mostly in shade, but it was a very hot muggy day and we noted that one large bush was half in sun, half in shade, and the sunny half was really drooping.

Your hydrangea will never thrive with all that sun and you're going to kill it with all that water. I agree you need to move it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Alright well I guess I have no choice. Would transplanting it under three 20 feet tall juniper trees be a bad idea? When I say under, its not literally under but actually a little out in the front and the junipers would be providing the shade.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you need to move it to the shade! I made the mistake of putting my hydrangeas in the sun and they were dead in three days. The water won't save it! That happened to my butternut squash too. It is just limp and crunchy right now. I keep watering it, but it is just too hot outside in the California sun for it.

Ask a Question