What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@MoonShadows those led lights are great. I bought cheaper versions which don't have the timer so I had to add my own. Our electricity ranges from 86 cents a kilowatt to 1.10 depending on the time of day. Cheapest at night and on weekends so I run mine from 7 at night for a period of 14 hours. Costs about a buck a day. Yes, I'd never seen such green leaves!

I just placed an order for some White Nicotiana seeds and some Brussels sprouts seeds. I love the smell of Carnations and Nicotiana - already got carnation seedlings under above mentioned lighting and will add the nicotiana as well. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lori: Nicotianas self seed here like mad, especially the tall one. They are so in your face, always popping up next the path and more than 6 feet tall. Very annoying. Every time I see one, I replant it straight away as it is such as asset to have. Carnation is perennial in my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@alp that is one of the nice features about that plant. I do a lot of growing in pots and re-use my soil and quite often a pepper plant will suddenly have a nicotiana join it :D. The white ones are really lovely smelling and those are the ones I ordered because they are supposed to be really smelly :)

I have tried carnations now and again without success but never inside. So, I thought why not?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lori: Have you got a naughty avatar!? Ahhhhhhhh! Or I need to go to the specsavers?

You grow nicotiana inside? Nicotianas are smelly and especially so at night, I think.

Haha! Lori! You naughty girl?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
It was a pic I put up by accident. I felt that our flower colours were too close and since yours is a really superior one I'd change out mine. Clicked on the wrong one then finally found myself! Here's the one that I stole from somewhere - really funny rain spout!

Attachments

• Tinman.jpg
    Tinman.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 190

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lori, if you have a high definition camera, you can take far better pic than mine. Thank you for the kind words. But you'll be surprised at what you can do. I prefer your human avatar!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Three bunches of onion sets, ready to put into the garden! I have Texas Sweet, Reds, and Yellow onion sets. Just $2.00 each, but with the rebate I get from the hardware store, it's more like $1.80 a bundle.
I'm looking forward to this Thursday, when the hardware store will have their vegetable, herb, and flower seeds out. The packets are large enough to plant both the spring and fall gardens, and are $1.79 each.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Large bag of the big purple alliums for less that 2 dollars...

Does it say Purple Sensation? Sparkles, if it does, you've got a lovely bargain there. They can be left in the garden even when they are left as seedheads and bees just can't get enough of them when they are in flower. I hope my Gladiator and White Everest will come up and make me smile this year, keeping my fingers crossed. Look out for those giant alliums .. Gladiator, Ambassador, Everest .. They are fab. It's a good idea to plant them in cluster rather than spreading them around, like one here and one there! I always did it like that and now I know my garden just lacks the UMPH!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't talk to me about bargain. I want to kick myself. When I arrived at BQ, I saw a lady and a staff member dismantling a garden arch for £10

productTemplate

Original price £136:eek::eek::eek::cry::cry::cry: The lady told me that there were 3 of them and 2 wooden ones. I went there every Sunday, looking only at flowers! :cry::cry::cry:

The quality was so good. Cry me a river.

In the end, I had to console myself with Decking tiles

productTemplate

20p each. :cry::cry::cry: And I bought 26 + 44. When son went to the checkout, some idiot scanned every single one of them and son said he had the longest receipt and it got chopped off into 2.. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Don't think they will forget him in a hurry!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ask a Question