What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't talk to me about bargain. I want to kick myself. When I arrived at BQ, I saw a lady and a staff member dismantling a garden arch for £10

Original price £136:eek::eek::eek::cry::cry::cry: The lady told me that there were 3 of them and 2 wooden ones. I went there every Sunday, looking only at flowers! :cry::cry::cry:

alp!! Quick, before you forget - write yourself a note, and put it somewhere you will find it next January!! Set the calendar on your phone... write it BIG on the outside of a box of Christmas ornaments... write it on your calendar for the month of December!! Whatever it takes, wherever you will find it.

A good sale this year will probably happen again next year! ;) (y)

And don't kick yourself too hard. If you move in the next year, it's one less thing to worry about. If you don't move in the next year, you've got time to figure out where you want it, and clear a space for it! :D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
alp!! Quick, before you forget - write yourself a note, and put it somewhere you will find it next January!! Set the calendar on your phone... write it BIG on the outside of a box of Christmas ornaments... write it on your calendar for the month of December!! Whatever it takes, wherever you will find it.

A good sale this year will probably happen again next year! ;) (y)

And don't kick yourself too hard. If you move in the next year, it's one less thing to worry about. If you don't move in the next year, you've got time to figure out where you want it, and clear a space for it! :D

Hahaha! That's exactly what I told my son. We must write it on the calendar. I was furious with him as I waited for a long time for him to reappear because he was consulting his iphone. Boy, I wish I had a better look on Sunday when we went. If I had looked at it carefully, I could have a choice of 3. Tomorrow, we're going to the other 2 nearby to have a look. They all follow the same old routine.

Yes. You're dead right. BIG RED LETTERS on calendar!:LOL::LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary I have written down the dates now and hopefully, I can get the bargains next time.

Got a pear tree, comice du Doyenne and a plum at £4.49 each, reduced from £18. Shame that didn't go gala apple trees.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Find out the stockists of Taylor Bulbs Company and went to Hillcrest Nursery in Brentwood. There was only one car in the driveway and one woman greeted us and would not leave us alone. In the end, we followed her around and by Jove I was so impressed. She had everything and a wide range of cultivars for salvias, hellebores and almost everything. In the end, I got a Salvia ultra violent night moth for £2.75, a Mother of Pearl Penstemon, a black hellebore for £3.65 with no flowers :cry:. Very pleased to have discovered this rough gem.

Then we went to another stockist and that place was posh. I asked myself, "What am I doing here? Too posh for me and way out of my league!:eek::cry:!" Then I talked to myself, "I must look for the word Reduced and oh I can't believe it, it right in front of me!" After a good rummaging, I got the followings

yellow kniforphia(?)
helenium speaksqueak
Lily the tall white one
astrantia white one
agapanthus Midnight Star
hibiscus single pink
Jap anemone pink

some 3L and 5L pots
all 10 in total

@£1.99 easch.

Sweet surprise.

And went to a nursery which was like a human jungle and got two hellebores £14 in total. Very pleased.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went to get some screws. Instead came home with 5 cordylines at £1 each and wonder how much foul air they can clean up. Also a tray of 6 starter plants with hollies and others and I bought 2 trays at £1 each. A 2L euonymous £1. Very pleased. Might go there to get more of those £1 trays to fill up the rockery i.e euphemism of a patch of soil hiding all my bricks and rubbles!:eek::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done @alp.......I hereby crown you the Bargain Queen of the forum:D:ROFLMAO:
Are you planting everything in pots so that you can take them with you when you move.?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the 17p hollies have already been planted at the back whilst my son is fashioning a retaining wall. I will definitely be taking the cordylines with me. Such good value! I also have a £1 2L variegated euonymus! I am a sucker for anything variegated.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
imga0014-jpg.32556

Bargain of the way. Saw one taller than this for £20 reduced in Homebase. Couldn't bear the thought of parting with £20. So didn't buy it. The following time I went, it was gone. Inconsolable.

Yesterday saw this at Fenland Nursery and wanted to pay £15 for a bigger one. But they were all crooked. The stems just bent this way and that, so I decided on this small one as it is straight. Very happy. A cheap way to get what I want.

imga0015-jpg.32557

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello alp, what is that plant?

That a Monkey Puzzle tree. It fetches a lot of money and some people hate it with a vengeance, but some people love having it. I just so wanted to have one. Been back and forth to a diy gc to look at it. £20 and of course, by the 3rd time, it went.. :cry::cry::cry:

Then yesterday, we went to this huge area where they sourced their stuff from Holland and I saw about 8. £15 to £20. But those near us were all crooked. I mean who wants to bent Monkey Puzzle tree! So I asked the man if I could have this very little one for £10. He said yes and made my day!

Ask a Question