What are your favorite indoor plants?

Reaction score
Oh lol, most men are like that! My boyfriend is specially clueless, he'd overwater a cactus if given the chance :D:ROFLMAO: I swear that man is more like a clueless kid sometimes :p

I'm glad all of your mom's african violets made it (y) Taking care of so many african violets can't be easy ;) Very good job, Claudine. By the way, what's the name of your boyfriend?

Reaction score
Trellum

Think I would agree with you on not taking pictures, have done both and found that you actually don't really need to, as the memory of them all lives in your mind forever and it only really becomes necessary to have a photo, when you are perhaps trying hard to describe your treasured plant :D

Don't think you'll have any problem finding plenty of replacements in Holland, something I always remember about my time there, were how everyones window sills, were always chock-a-block full of plants :)

Yes my grandma was quite a remarkable lady and I too, hope that should I actually reach that age, that I would be just as active and lively as she was.:)

Yeah, there are a lot plants living in my memory right now... so many my mind looks like a jungle :p But seriously, there are some plants I used to have when I was younger, but they died. I haven't been able to find them, one of them is the a stripped variety of trasdencatia. I had a really beautiful variety! It was green with white stripes! Just like this:

Tradescantia.albiflora.(fluminensis).jpg

I also had this one, but could never find it. Only the one with the blue flowers :cry: They are not the same... the one with the blue flowers can be found anywhere. This one white flowers more rare and sturdy compared to the one with blue flowers:

Tradescantia_fluminensis1.jpg

I still have this one:

toradesukantia-siramontana-uti-ll.jpg

My neighbor didn't really want it :p So I guess it will stay at home! :cry: I hope I can find all those in the Netherlands (y):)

Reaction score
That sounds amazing! I also had a green one with no yellow streaking on it :) They make great decorative accesories ;) but for some reason I always liked to keep mine trimmed, because this plant can grow like crazy, but I'm sure you already know that :)

Yeah, african violets are tricky!!! Mine died a lot... you need to be so careful with the light and water! My last one was doing well tho, too bad I had to give it away.

The holiday cactus is beautiful :)

LOL yes they do grow like crazy. I enjoyed having mine flow as a balance/curtain if you will into the other room. I killed so many African Violets that I just gave up on them. I hope I can get another holiday cactus, they are very pretty aren't they?

Reaction score
@Trellum - You're mind looks like a jungle ?:D

Can assure you, you will very easily find some replacement Tradecantias in Holland, including the white flowered one that you like, as they are very popular as houseplants there, and they also sell every variety available, and even some that you've never dreamed of, like some of these that have a more exotic look

tradescantcia multi0.jpeg

tradescantia purple.JPG

Trad_Sitara_Gold.jpg

There are loads, in fact hundreds more to choose from and some with even more exotic colorings than these, so think - you will probably be Tradescantia heaven :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh lol, most men are like that! My boyfriend is specially clueless, he'd overwater a cactus if given the chance :D:ROFLMAO: I swear that man is more like a clueless kid sometimes :p

I'm glad all of your mom's african violets made it (y) Taking care of so many african violets can't be easy ;) Very good job, Claudine. By the way, what's the name of your boyfriend?

His name is Tomasz, I call him Tomek. You probably have no idea how to pronounce it, but I assure you that it sounds really nice:love: I know that he loves plants, but he either forgets to water them or overwaters them, lol. I think that most men are like this:p
Taking care of my mother's violets definitely wasn't easy. I learned my lesson, I promised myself that I'll never keep so many plants at home:LOL:

Reaction score
That's a beautiful name :) We have a similar one, I think, is written like this: Tomas :) We pronounce it the way is written, it was a very popular name some years ago, actually several classmates of mine were named that way (y)

Yeah, I wish I could say the same, Claudine! Because once I move to the Netherlands I will surely be known as a plant hoarder :D I'll be working at one of the biggest plant markets in the Netherlands... so nothing will stop me from having a really huge plant collection :p:D

Reaction score
@Trellum - You're mind looks like a jungle ?:D

Can assure you, you will very easily find some replacement Tradecantias in Holland, including the white flowered one that you like, as they are very popular as houseplants there, and they also sell every variety available, and even some that you've never dreamed of, like some of these that have a more exotic look

View attachment 1391

View attachment 1388

View attachment 1393

There are loads, in fact hundreds more to choose from and some with even more exotic colorings than these, so think - you will probably be Tradescantia heaven :D

Omg!!! I wasn't expecting that!!! That's actually awesome, Holland sounds like a great place after all :love: Gosh, I might stay in that place forever, knowing that I might just have a huge collection of plants once I move there!!! The only thing that has been stopping all these years (from getting more plants) was the fact I was traveling too often, and I knew I'd not end up staying in my country. I actually had a lot plans before this guy came along :) but love happened... and I'm not going to Holland :)

Thanks a lot for sharing those pictures, that variety is also very popular over here! We have a variety that is dark with silver coloured stripes. But it grows too fast!!!! Plus it dies so easily! The furry variety dies during the winters, but it always comes back next summer :)

Reaction score
LOL yes they do grow like crazy. I enjoyed having mine flow as a balance/curtain if you will into the other room. I killed so many African Violets that I just gave up on them. I hope I can get another holiday cactus, they are very pretty aren't they?

Don't feel bad, I killed a lot of them too :D Yeah, holiday cactus are really beautiful :) So beautiful I will surely get a few of them ;) I'd like to have one in each colour! My house will look like a very green place ;) Have you ever tried growing kalanchoes? I love them, they're so beautiful... but the stupid aphids keep attacking them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's a beautiful name :) We have a similar one, I think, is written like this: Tomas :) We pronounce it the way is written, it was a very popular name some years ago, actually several classmates of mine were named that way (y)

Yeah, I wish I could say the same, Claudine! Because once I move to the Netherlands I will surely be known as a plant hoarder :D I'll be working at one of the biggest plant markets in the Netherlands... so nothing will stop me from having a really huge plant collection :p:D
I'm pretty sure Tomasz and Tomas is the same name:) It's very popular here too. The 'Toma' part is pronounced the way it's written and 'sz' is pronounced almost like 'sh' in the word shush.
I'm curious, do you have Magdalena? (it's my real name:)).
As for being a plant hoarder, I think that it will be nice:D Hard work, but nice:D When you are surrounded by many gorgeous plants, it's impossible to resist the temptation:LOL:

Reaction score
The Benjamin Ficus is my favorite houseplant. I don't have one right now because I don't have room for a large plant but as soon as I move I will get one.

I love plants also, one that I am not so good with is the African violet, I have one now that is not doing so well. I try not look at the plants when I go to the store to avoid purchasing them.

If I see a plant that has been abused I have to rescue it and take it home.

We are the same @Pat! If I see an abused plant I try to rescue it as well. I also have to stay out of the plant section. If hubby sees that I am headed into the garden section at Lowes he redirects me. LOL Like that really works. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, I killed a lot of them too :D Yeah, holiday cactus are really beautiful :) So beautiful I will surely get a few of them ;) I'd like to have one in each colour! My house will look like a very green place ;) Have you ever tried growing kalanchoes? I love them, they're so beautiful... but the stupid aphids keep attacking them.
'

I had to go look kalanchoes up and they are very pretty. I have never had one before. I can't wait for you to get to your new place so we can all see great pictures of your indoor green house!

Reaction score
Glad you liked them ;) Kalanchoes are great plants, you can have them indoors too! I used to have kalanchoes in almost every colour: pink, orange, red, yellow and white :) The only downside is they seem to be the favorite lunch of aphids! I'll surely take pictures once I move there :) I might take pictures of my trip and share them over here too, but I don't think I'll get to see a lot green while visiting (n)

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Tomasz and Tomas is the same name:) It's very popular here too. The 'Toma' part is pronounced the way it's written and 'sz' is pronounced almost like 'sh' in the word shush.
I'm curious, do you have Magdalena? (it's my real name:)).
As for being a plant hoarder, I think that it will be nice:D Hard work, but nice:D When you are surrounded by many gorgeous plants, it's impossible to resist the temptation:LOL:

OMG!!!!! Yeah!!! We have Magdalena!!! It's such a beautiful name! Over here there are many magdalenas, actually a cousin of mine named her daughter that way :) We call her ''Magdis'' :) It seems polish and us like to use a lot similar name ;) I'm guessing you have ''Maria'' over there, isn't it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, we have Maria:D! I have a friend whose name is Maria, we call her Marysia, it's a diminutive. She is interested in gardening too, her garden is beautiful:)
Magdis sounds nice:) In Poland, we call Magdalenas "Magda". I really don't like it though:confused:

Reaction score
Glad you liked them ;) Kalanchoes are great plants, you can have them indoors too! I used to have kalanchoes in almost every colour: pink, orange, red, yellow and white :) The only downside is they seem to be the favorite lunch of aphids! I'll surely take pictures once I move there :) I might take pictures of my trip and share them over here too, but I don't think I'll get to see a lot green while visiting (n)

Well is sounds like a wonderful trip.

I am quite sure we will enjoy any and all photos that you share with us.

Ask a Question