What are you cooking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ah well, at least he is showing some more interest in the garden ;) Mine couldn't care less about my gardening hobby, but hoefuly he might once we get our own place :) I'll be lucky if I get him to care about it at least a little bit ;)

Things are different when you have your own place. Hopefully he won't make arbitrary decisions without first discussing it with you when you do. Gardening should always follow a plan, preferably one that is low maintenance and chemical free. Good luck getting into your own place soon!

Reaction score
Thanks, ChanellG :) I surely hope so, I'm not so worried about him making garden decisions without me, I'm more concerned about him asking his dad to make all the decisions concerning our garden (his dad used to work as a gardener for the council). Ah well, we will see how it goes :D:p

Reaction score
I'm low on funds today, but my daughter has a sweet tooth, so I'm baking all the low budget cookies, like the 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies, and some Cake Mix Cookies using pumpkin spice cake mix that I bought on clearance for 50 cents. I collect cheapo recipes on Pinterest for times like this.
The cookies are looking pretty good, actually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm low on funds today, but my daughter has a sweet tooth, so I'm baking all the low budget cookies...

You're such a good mom! What are three ingredient peanut butter cookies? Flour? Eggs? I can't imagine making them with only three ingredients.

I'm more concerned about him asking his dad to make all the decisions concerning our garden (his dad used to work as a gardener for the council).

Yikes, lol! That could get interesting. Way too much testosterone for me to contend with, lol!

Reaction score
I do most of my canning in the summer growing season so I have plenty throughout the winter. Excess produce goes to a food pantry or friends, same with the many herbs that I grow. I make jars of the various mints for people to use not only for cooking and herbal remedies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I do most of my canning in the summer growing season so I have plenty throughout the winter. Excess produce goes to a food pantry or friends, same with the many herbs that I grow. I make jars of the various mints for people to use not only for cooking and herbal remedies.

That's pretty awesome! Your friends must really appreciate those jars, and I know the food pantry is happy to have what you give them as well. I wish I could successfully grow that much food to have enough to give away. I don't know much about canning; I made watermelon rind preserve last summer for the first time for my grandfather, but no one else was really into it and I had a bunch of it leftover because we'd had a bunch of melons.

Reaction score
Usually we'll spend a few hours on the weekend cooking some meals or snacks for the week. Today we tried making a few different things including muesli bars and chicken soup.
The kids help with mixing and such while i do the prep including cutting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Usually we'll spend a few hours on the weekend cooking some meals or snacks for the week.

I like doing that; I like to cook a bunch of things on my not-as-busy days and eat off what I have for the rest of the week. It's so much more convenient than trying to sort things out when you're too busy to stop and do all that cutting and chopping and prepping to get dinner on.

Reaction score
I made a vegetable soup and to add some extra weight to it put in some chicken. I love cooking with vegetables and herbs we grew because I feel like it has a little extra love to it. I also like knowing that harsh chemicals weren't used on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I made a vegetable soup and to add some extra weight to it put in some chicken. I love cooking with vegetables and herbs we grew because I feel like it has a little extra love to it. I also like knowing that harsh chemicals weren't used on them.

I love cooking with edibles from my garden also. It's extremely gratifying and you know you're getting fresh, healthy, whole foods without having to worry about pesticides. Organic gardening of edibles has so many rewards - I use my scraps from cooking to make vegetable stock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for the compliment. Here's the recipe for the 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies. These 3 ingredients do magically form a cookie.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Three-Ingredient-Peanut-Butter-Cookies/detail.aspx

Wow, that seems like a lot of sugar; 1 cup to 1 cup of peanut butter. Even with the egg, that cookie recipe reminds me of making fudge. I guess it is sort of like making a flourless cake, though I have never actually done that. How's the texture of the cookie?

Reaction score
Wow, that seems like a lot of sugar; 1 cup to 1 cup of peanut butter. Even with the egg, that cookie recipe reminds me of making fudge. I guess it is sort of like making a flourless cake, though I have never actually done that. How's the texture of the cookie?

They have the normal texture of a cookie. If I had to guess why the recipe works, I would guess that the ground peanuts act like some kind of flour, the sugar caramelizes and gives the cookies a chewy texture, the oil in the peanut butter provides the fat, and the egg binds it all together. They are chewy right out of the oven but firm up and become more crunchy when they cool off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They have the normal texture of a cookie. If I had to guess why the recipe works, I would guess that the ground peanuts act like some kind of flour, the sugar caramelizes and gives the cookies a chewy texture, the oil in the peanut butter provides the fat, and the egg binds it all together. They are chewy right out of the oven but firm up and become more crunchy when they cool off.

I'm going to have to give them a try. I am tempted though to add another ingredient, maybe oats. I've also seen recipes that add banana to applesauce. I've never had applesauce (to my knowledge) because it's always reminded me of baby food (I'm funny about texture), but it's supposed to be a good way to cut fat and sugar.

Reaction score
I'm going to have to give them a try. I am tempted though to add another ingredient, maybe oats. I've also seen recipes that add banana to applesauce. I've never had applesauce (to my knowledge) because it's always reminded me of baby food (I'm funny about texture), but it's supposed to be a good way to cut fat and sugar.

You should do the recipe as written at least one time before you start experimenting. It's like chemistry, each of the 3 ingredients is important to forming a cookie.
Even my daughter was surprised but it actually makes a real cookie and she asked me to make them again.

Ask a Question