What are you cooking?

Reaction score
I tried to grow zucchini this time around, but one by one the plants succumbed to something or other and withered away. If I could grow one thing to have year round it would be carrots. I used carrots almost daily when I'm cooking. At least I have my herbs :)

Sorry to hear that! It always got to me whenever my plants got sick or died. My calla lily died recently, btw. I forgot it was outside in the cold (I haven't been very well lately and too focused on other things!). Wonder if the bulbs will produce a new plant next year? :cry:

As for carrots... are they easy to grow? I have little to no experience planting my own edibles... so far I've only planted cucumbers ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that! It always got to me whenever my plants got sick or died. My calla lily died recently, btw. I forgot it was outside in the cold (I haven't been very well lately and too focused on other things!). Wonder if the bulbs will produce a new plant next year? :cry:

As for carrots... are they easy to grow? I have little to no experience planting my own edibles... so far I've only planted cucumbers ;)

Thanks. I've never grown calla lilies so I can't say, but I hope that's what will happen. I'm not sure if carrots are easy to grow, but they must be because they are one of the things recommended for children. I plan to grow mine in containers so it will be even easier to manage and to protect them from underground critters.

Reaction score
Oh yeah!!! Everytime I think of carrots, I think of all those nasty critters that are lurking underground. These are the ones that irk me the most and stop me from planting things in the soil:

foto15.jpg

Ugh, we used to have a lot of those back at home! Yikes!!!!

Best of luck with your carrota :) I'm sure you will have no troubles or close encounters with underground critters if you do the planting in a container. Watch out for the snails tho :p Somehow those little critters found the way to end up in my containers eating my plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Best of luck with your carrota :) I'm sure you will have no troubles or close encounters with underground critters if you do the planting in a container. Watch out for the snails tho :p Somehow those little critters found the way to end up in my containers eating my plants!

I think the birds ate the first sprouts, or maybe caterpillars. I may try again with the plants in protected areas, but I'm not sure I will have enough time for food plants other than herbs this year. Trying to develop this business and have been approached about doing something else on the side.

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm talking about your business oportuniyy , not your sprouts ;) It seems this year will be a really busy one for you, hopefully it will be for me as well. No gardening at all for me this year, but once I move I will definitely start working on a herb garden.

Reaction score
In the fridge we have leftover salad, leftover ham, and some other odds and ends. I don't like to waste good food, so I guess we'll have a random, mismatched dinner with a bit of everything. I grew up poor, so I hate wasting leftover food and I still serve it ,as long as it's fresh and still tastes good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awesome! I'm talking about your business oportuniyy , not your sprouts ;) It seems this year will be a really busy one for you, hopefully it will be for me as well. No gardening at all for me this year, but once I move I will definitely start working on a herb garden.

Well, I thought I was going to back off gardening, but now my other half rescued two shrubs from the curb and has caught the fever! We acquired some herbs and fruit plants yesterday (and rooting hormone!) and I am trying to get him to understand just how much work goes into gardening. There's really not much space at his place, but he's not a morning person either - and to top it off - he doesn't like bugs!

Reaction score
Lol, oh my! So he is quite new to gardening, but he is really enthusiastic about it? My boyfriend is like that as well, he gets super enthusiastic with certain things, but once he realizes his new hobby requires him to make some changes to his lifestyle he quits it. Your SO might do that too or maybe he will actually like gardening (y) Either way... it's great both of you are doing this together, sharing a common interest with your SO is always good :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Lol, oh my! So he is quite new to gardening, but he is really enthusiastic about it? My boyfriend is like that as well, he gets super enthusiastic with certain things, but once he realizes his new hobby requires him to make some changes to his lifestyle he quits it. Your SO might do that too or maybe he will actually like gardening (y) Either way... it's great both of you are doing this together, sharing a common interest with your SO is always good :love:

Yes, I don't think he's all that into the day to day of it, he just doesn't really have the time, but after he rescued those two shrubs at the curb recently and it changed the whole feel of the back "yard" (small closed in paved space), he's decided there should be more plants back there.

I gave him a little speech about good bugs and the importance of pollinators the other day and told him I would be getting a few flowers to attract more good bugs. He didn't say much, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well right now I am harvesting and freezing my brocolli and cauliflower. Next month it will be brussel sprouts. Then in about the middle of May my peaches start to come in. It just never stops

Reaction score
Yes, I don't think he's all that into the day to day of it, he just doesn't really have the time, but after he rescued those two shrubs at the curb recently and it changed the whole feel of the back "yard" (small closed in paved space), he's decided there should be more plants back there.

I gave him a little speech about good bugs and the importance of pollinators the other day and told him I would be getting a few flowers to attract more good bugs. He didn't say much, lol.

Lol, guys! So he is already feeling less enthusiastic about it now? They always start super enthusiastic, then a few weeks later they seem less interested and after a while they just forget about the new hobby they were so interested on. But if he doesn't... well,you will have another activity you can do together ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh, that sounds so good! We went to lunch last week at my favorite Indian restaurant and on the buffet there were pakoras, saag, dahl, vegetable korma and something with eggplant. Yum!

You're giving me an idea! I need to get a mandolin so I can get the slices thin enough. I've tried using a knife, but it's just not the best method.

I tried to grow zucchini this time around, but one by one the plants succumbed to something or other and withered away. If I could grow one thing to have year round it would be carrots. I used carrots almost daily when I'm cooking. At least I have my herbs :)
In La. plant carrot seeds in late fall and harvest in mid spring. The climate there isn't that much different from here. And what happened to your squash was more than likely squash vine borers easily controlled with Dipel Dust or Spinosad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well right now I am harvesting and freezing my brocolli and cauliflower. Next month it will be brussel sprouts. Then in about the middle of May my peaches start to come in. It just never stops

Yum! I envy you all that! I wish I had more time, more growing space, and more storage to do more with food plants.

Lol, guys! So he is already feeling less enthusiastic about it now? They always start super enthusiastic, then a few weeks later they seem less interested and after a while they just forget about the new hobby they were so interested on. But if he doesn't... well,you will have another activity you can do together ;)

I don't think he's given it all that much thought, lol. He did ask me this morning about the soil for the second rescued shrub. We didn't have enough to completely fill the pot he got for it and my priority was the food and flowers that desperately needed transplanting. He doesn't have the time so I don't really see him getting that into it, at least not until we relocate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In La. plant carrot seeds in late fall and harvest in mid spring. The climate there isn't that much different from here. And what happened to your squash was more than likely squash vine borers easily controlled with Dipel Dust or Spinosad

The squash didn't survive :-( It put out a few flowers, but that's about it. The weather was so crazy, I think that I'll have to save squash for when I have a little more time, tools, and resources. I'm sticking to herbs and flowers this season and maybe a few edibles, but I will definitely be giving carrots another try.

Reaction score
I don't think he's given it all that much thought, lol. He did ask me this morning about the soil for the second rescued shrub. We didn't have enough to completely fill the pot he got for it and my priority was the food and flowers that desperately needed transplanting. He doesn't have the time so I don't really see him getting that into it, at least not until we relocate.

Ah well, at least he is showing some more interest in the garden ;) Mine couldn't care less about my gardening hobby, but hoefuly he might once we get our own place :) I'll be lucky if I get him to care about it at least a little bit ;)

Ask a Question