The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
https://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking

Is it possible that millions of people are ignorantly sacrificing their health in exchange for the convenience of microwave ovens? Why did the Soviet Union ban the use of microwave ovens in 1976? Who invented microwave ovens, and why? The answers to these questions may shock you into throwing your microwave oven in the trash.

Over 90% of American homes have microwave ovens used for meal preparation. Because microwave ovens are so convenient and energy efficient, as compared to conventional ovens, very few homes or restaurants are without them.
________________________________________________________________________________

I am personally concerned about microwaving food with plastic covers, yet in hospitals the prepared contracted out meals are all heated in microwaves and the food is protected with plastic covers. Certainly a subject that needs addressing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow a lot of reading I don't have a microwave for two reasons in general and both of equal reason. I never liked what I tasted when I was offered food that was cooked in it by mum ( Sorry Mum :cry:):eek: back in the 80s ! I can't blame her for wanting to try it, People all over the world are always looking for the next kitchen gadget ..... I got to defend my mum(y) the other reason I don't have one is the way they cook.........call me old fashioned but I like to see and feel the heat that is cooking my food ;) a burned finger from a hot saucepan is better than slowly being chernobyled:mad:. I'm Know doctor or scientist But Microwave cooking is :poop: .............Ps Love My mums roast Dinners, Pies & bubble and squeak:whistle:...just in case she reads this lol O yes and not forgetting Apple crumble! now try cooking that in a Microwave!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've never quite got the hang of microwaving. I cook conventionally--stove top or in the oven. I do have a microwave, and use it to pop popcorn, reheat a sauce, or heat water for yeast when I make bread.
I'm sure there are pros and cons about microwaves, but my pros are that I love popcorn and don't want to wash the stove-top popper, and 30 seconds of zapping water for yeast is, I think, better than running almost a quart of water down the sink until the tap water reaches the right temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
I use microwave oven to heat drinks (milk, water, coffee in under 1 minute) only. But using conventional gas oven is much cheaper here as energy is expensive in my location (currently $0.27/kWh).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm... I'd be interested to know a little more about the background and training of the authors, plus some actual evidence. If you search for any of the sources quoted there is no record of them in any accepted peer reviewed journals. The Lancet reference was actually a letter to the editor, and the 1992 study looked at just 8 volunteers. Plus, far too many weasel words for my liking ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Hmmm... I'd be interested to know a little more about the background and training of the authors, plus some actual evidence. If you search for any of the sources quoted there is no record of them in any accepted peer reviewed journals. The Lancet reference was actually a letter to the editor, and the 1992 study looked at just 8 volunteers. Plus, far too many weasel words for my liking ;)
Good evaluation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia2322

Latest Threads