What are you cooking?

Reaction score
I just made shrimp risotto. It is really good, it was my first time making it and I was definitely nervous I would screw it up because I had heard from friends that making it is really a labor of love. More than one hour of stirring later I see what they mean, but am so happy I put the time into it.

Reaction score
I have never made risotto before. I am going to have to try it sometime! Tonight, I made baked chicken that was simply seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic power (our favorite way is simple sometimes), stuffing with chicken gravy, scalloped potatoes and green beans. Talk about delicious!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's great, @LindaKay, @Mike L, and @forextraspecialstuff, but the original thread was geared towards the things you are cooking/making from the edible plants you are growing in your gardens. Do you have any favorites?

We are growing cherry tomatoes between the two gardens and I made little caprese bites for a recent day road trip we took by sandwiching basil and mozarella between grape tomato halves. The guys loved them so hopefully the plants will produce enough cherry tomatoes for me to make those through the summer - at least until the July heat sets in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am still a little too nervous to preserve any foods as I am scared of bacteria. I plan to go to a class one of these days and learn how to do it right. I make pies with my blackberries, freezer jam with peaches, and I add my home grown veggies to my dinner dishes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am still a little too nervous to preserve any foods as I am scared of bacteria. I plan to go to a class one of these days and learn how to do it right. I make pies with my blackberries, freezer jam with peaches, and I add my home grown veggies to my dinner dishes.

You shouldn't worry about bacteria. Just pick a method for sterilizing jars that works best for you and have at it. My mom gave me a bunch of jars she had so I'm hoping to get some raw pickles made in the next few days for my other half. If I have a surplus tomatoes, cukes, and zucchini, I might consider canning something, but we get stuff fresh year round so unless it's something special, no one would really eat the canned food.

I made watermelon rind preserve last year and shared it with a bunch of people, but no one was interested in having a lot of it. I deliberately didn't put a lot of sugar, but the perception was still there. Go figure.

Reaction score
Tonight my boyfriend and I cooked some shawarma, placed it on garlic naan with a greek yogurt sauce. The yogurt sauce had fresh dill, ground sesame, and lemon ginger. Sadly, our dog decided to misbehave (she never ever does) and we had to rush to the store to buy a new steak. It came out delicious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Tonight my boyfriend and I cooked some shawarma, placed it on garlic naan with a greek yogurt sauce. The yogurt sauce had fresh dill, ground sesame, and lemon ginger. Sadly, our dog decided to misbehave (she never ever does) and we had to rush to the store to buy a new steak. It came out delicious!

Did any of the ingredients from your dinner come from your garden?

Reaction score
Did any of the ingredients from your dinner come from your garden?

All of the herbs came from our garden. This was the first time experimenting with fresh herbs for me, since I am fairly new to gardening. Fresh herbs seem to make a world of a difference!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All of the herbs came from our garden. This was the first time experimenting with fresh herbs for me, since I am fairly new to gardening. Fresh herbs seem to make a world of a difference!

That's awesome! Fresh herbs do make the world of difference; I cut some marjoram last week on an impulse and added it to the bottom of a glass dish I was roasting carrots in with some olive oil. When I took the carrots out to add the turnips I'd just cut up the smell was amazing. I didn't want to add any other seasoning, and I almost didn't put the turnips in, lol.

Reaction score
That's awesome! Fresh herbs do make the world of difference; I cut some marjoram last week on an impulse and added it to the bottom of a glass dish I was roasting carrots in with some olive oil. When I took the carrots out to add the turnips I'd just cut up the smell was amazing. I didn't want to add any other seasoning, and I almost didn't put the turnips in, lol.

That sounds delicious! I would love to grow some ginger to add to my dishes next. I have never worked with any "root" plants, really. You know, I don't think I have ever had marjoram.

Reaction score
Since the last time I posted on here I've tried a lot new things! I just tried a mango ice cream recipe! With fresh and tasty mango pure! I love it so badly! Because it's not only extremely delicious, but it's also healthier than getting it from the ice cream parlor. The best part is that you need only 3 ingredients! You don't even need an ice cream machine :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Since the last time I posted on here I've tried a lot new things! I just tried a mango ice cream recipe! With fresh and tasty mango pure! I love it so badly! Because it's not only extremely delicious, but it's also healthier than getting it from the ice cream parlor. The best part is that you need only 3 ingredients! You don't even need an ice cream machine :eek:

Sounds great! Do you have the recipe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sounds great! Do you have the recipe?

It does sound great! I was going to ask if you grew the mangoes yourself. I saved some things on Pinterest for making sorbet without an ice cream maker. I've made granita from fruit juice, but I've yet to make sorbet. I should have thought of that when there was an overabundance of strawberries.

Ask a Question