Cooking Dried Beans.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/October 2015/24 October 2015 Beans/HTML/ 24 October 2015 Beans
Nine types of beans purchased from a bulk barn were pressure cooked and blended into a mash and stored in plastic containers.They are frozen and used as required. I use them as a reasonable replacement for meat by re-frying or ingest as they are. They are inexpensive and simple to prepare. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_789024%20october%202015%20beans_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Why did you feel you had to process all the beans. Dried beans last for a very long time? I have bags that are my go to, to add to soup. Or for an overnight soaking first then add to soup.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I keep a container in the refrigerator ready for immediate use. and the remainder in the freezer. The lot should last around a month, which is not excessive, since I use all the bean types available. Basically used for a meat replacement, since I ingest little meat.

Reaction score
I did not know that cooked dried beans can last for a long time in the freezer. Thanks for sharing your post!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love beans. And lentils - I make a fantastic lentil soup with coconut milk and curry spices. It also freezes well; good for healthy to-go work lunches.

Reaction score
One time, getting home from a vacation, in Serbia we bought really big fava - looking dried beans from a man (little fairy tale like, I know) and it was soaked in water afternight. We wanted to make some nice soup, but the beans were so old that we had to cook them 11 hours and in the end it turned to be a stew.
But it was delicious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
If any of the shops carry Bob's Red Mill products, see if there is a bag of Anasazi Beans. They only take one hour of simmering to get done, and are good. I usually throw them in the pot with the recommended water or stock, and start the cooking-simmering then chop up my onion, throw it in, chop up my carrots, throw that in, basil leaf, other veggies if wish, like kale, some tomato paste, and maybe left over roasted meat, add stock of some sort. and by that time its about an hour and all is done. or let it simmer for 20 mins more. So the point here is the Beans, which --no soaking is needed.

I just did a white bean with some bacon and kale mixture, husband loved it. and of course garlic.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I usually soak beans in water before I can cook them. That makes them soft and ready to be pressure cooked. I like eating beans because they have proteins. I have never tried to keep them frozen, I am going to try it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't eat meat often so I need to learn to eat beans for the substitution. This mix of cooked bean sounds like something I might like to try, and it would be wonderful to have them ready to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I too like the thought of preparing and freezing the beans. I usually soak them over night and it gets them soft and ready to cook. I have not invested in a pressure cooker yet but plan on doing so. My family loves chile and so we cook beans often. I really enjoy lentils and due to my unpreparedness last week, I made burritos with green lentils as a substitute for the usual black beans and it turned out to be better in my opinion. The family loved it and as stated above by others, the cooking time is cut down tremendously!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My only concern is in the event of a power outage you would loose your beans. A suggestion is to put them in jars and can them so that refrigeration isn't needed.

Ask a Question