22 July 2017 Parsnips Cooking

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/July%202017/22%20July%202017%20Parsnips%20Cooking/HTML/ 22 July 2017 Parsnips Cooking
Parsnips are a vegetable seldom on the menu for most people. I grow them and they can get very large. If cooked in an appetizing manner they can be highly desirable even to children. Simply boiled they are blasé.
Method. Cut into flat pieces about one inch thick. Steam cook. They cook quickly about five minutes is sufficient. Place in a fry pan using ghee as an oil. Brown lightly on one side. Sprinkle with soy sauce, sprinkle lightly with brown sugar. Place pan in oven under the boiler and brown. Serve alone or as a meal vegetable.
parsnips%20020_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
French fried parsnips are also delicious, and a mixed mash of 2 parts potato, to 1 part each of carrot, swede, parsnip and winter squash, is tasty and nutricious.
Parsnip and ginger soup is one of my favourites, although the wife likes it without the ginger.
I grow ~ 20 per year, and that may not sound much, but bigger ones can easily reach 2.5-3 lbs.
Try to avoid harvesting until after first frosts, as the cold turns some of the starch to sugar and sweetens them.
I'll try to post a photo of mine growing, later in the week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They are much more popular in Britain. We have them simply roasted round the joint in the same way as roast potatoes. Or we have them creamed in the same way as mashed potatoes. They are also very acceptable grated raw as an addition to a winter salad. We find them sweet enough without adding sugar to them. They also make a very nice soup. You can even make Parsnip Wine from them (very potent stuff it is too!).
Forgot. They need to be frosted to increase their natural sweetness. But if you live somewhere where frost does not occur, blanching the roots and putting them in the Freezer has the same effect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/July%202017/27%20July%202017%20Parsnips/HTML/ 27 July 2017 Parsnips
Cooking parsnips to encourage young children to ingest. The parsnip was steam cooked for about ten minutes then lightly browned in ghee (clarified butter) in the frying pan. It was then served with q sprinkling of soy sauce for flavor. The final product was most appetizing.
cooking%20parsnips%20010_std.jpg

Ask a Question