What are you cooking?

Reaction score
I LOVE it when zucchini is in season! I could eat it every day!!!! I recently found a recipe on facebook for zucchini and yellow squash, sliced thin and baked with onions and....hm, can't remember what else. It looked marvelous!

Have you ever made a zucchini dessert pie? It's supposed to be similar to pumpkin pie in flavor but it uses zucchini instead of pumpkin.

http://baking.food.com/recipe/zucchini-dessert-pie-97138

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Zucchini pie sounds delicious, too ! I have made zucchini bread with apples in it, and that was wonderful also.
One of my favorite ways to prepare zucchini, is to slice it lengthways, scoop some of the center out, and sauté that with hamburger and onions. Put spaghetti sauce in the squash, add the hamburger mixture, and top with shredded pizza cheese and oregano. Bake for about a half hour, and it is almost like having a pizza, but a much healthier one.

Reaction score
What a good idea happyflower! I sometimes add zucchini and yellow squash to tomato sauce and ground beef, onions, garlic, etc. but I eat it on pasta traditionally. I'm trying to cut back on carbs, so I think I will try the meat sauce on a bed of thin sliced zucchini and yellow squash instead of pasta. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
What a good idea happyflower! I sometimes add zucchini and yellow squash to tomato sauce and ground beef, onions, garlic, etc. but I eat it on pasta traditionally. I'm trying to cut back on carbs, so I think I will try the meat sauce on a bed of thin sliced zucchini and yellow squash instead of pasta. Thanks for the tip!

I have cut back dramatically on grain based carbs as well. I still eat pasta occasionally and enjoy it. But I have absolutely found that eating something w/o the pasta, as happerflowerlady posted, is completely delicious and satisfying. I don't miss the pasta at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I tried zucchini cake recently and it was delicious! Similar to carrot cake I guess, it had a cream cheese frosting and the recipe was probably fairly similar but with grated zucchini instead of grated carrot. YUM!

Reaction score
This is interesting. Apparently zucchini ice cream is a thing. Zucchini can be used in a lot of ways because it's so mild in flavor.

Anyway, here's a recipe for Zucchini Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream

http://tartandheathered.blogspot.co.../05/chocolate-avocado-zucchini-ice-cream.html

And here is a recipe for Zucchini Bread Ice Cream that has all the warm spices of zucchini bread, like cardamom but in ice cream form.
I got an ice cream maker a month ago, so I want to try all the weird ice cream flavors.

http://www.edamam.com/recipe/zucchini-bread-ice-cream-19dc16407efd0f40d87e6c4d8ecad998/fresh+picks

Reaction score
I just cut a huge vine of Basella rubra or Indian spinach today. I did not realise that it had grown so much in the last few days. I think my family could eat this for a week. The boys are not going to be happy at all.. so this is something I need to share with my friends here. I love this spinach and this seems to be the only plant enjoying the rain.

Reaction score
I just cut a huge vine of Basella rubra or Indian spinach today. I did not realise that it had grown so much in the last few days. I think my family could eat this for a week. The boys are not going to be happy at all.. so this is something I need to share with my friends here. I love this spinach and this seems to be the only plant enjoying the rain.

How do you make the Indian spinach? My daughter only eats spinach in unhealthy ways, like creamed spinach or spinach artichoke dip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You can sneak spinach into all sorts of things - it's quite nice in chilli con carne! I love it in curries too, yum.

Reaction score
Today I was kind of lazy so I only made a vegetables soup and a potato salad. Everybody liked the food so I'm happy. I will see what I'm in the mood to cook tomorrow.

Reaction score
I'm just making chicken strips and french fries. We're just watching retro American sitcoms like The Mary Tyler Moore show and eating junk food today.

Reaction score
I'm making Chinese fried rice. The only things in it that I grew myself are the scallions and the ginger.

Reaction score
I made Thai green curry tonight using home grown methi, spring onions, coriander and courgette. It was fab. (courgettes are British zucchini)

Ask a Question