Weather

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We have 4 to 8c and it's raining which must mean it is getting warmer ... a sign of relief. Hope your tyres have grip.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Read this horror story

Dog is found frozen solid on the porch of an Ohio home as a bitter arctic blast continues to grip the northern US with record-breaking lows
  • American bully was found 'frozen solid' on the porch of Victor Vallejo Sr's Ohio home Thursday afternoon
  • The female dog had died after curling up on the porch in a bid to keep herself warm from the bitter cold
  • Vallejo said the three-year-old female was named Nanas and he didn't know how the dog got out of the house
  • The incident comes just a day after two thresher sharks were found dead washed up along Cape Cod Bay
  • Wildlife officials said the sharks died after being 'stranded due to cold shock' amid plunging temperatures
  • Freezing cold weather has taken hold of much of the northern United States and will stay into the New Year
  • Forecasters warn of hypothermia and frostbite from arctic air settling in over central US and spreading east

Are YOU cold?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @alp no I am not cold. We've got heavy rain now, but there's some icy patches on the roads. But it's not very bad. Where i walk Barley i know the places where it could be icy. It's alright where the trees are, but there's a place where there is no trees, that's the bad bit. It should be raining all morning so it should get better. Thanks.:)
That's terrible about that dog.:(

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
That's amazing:)
Yes I've walked Barley in the dark every day.
The lamps are on but there's a few darker spots.
There's 2 old oak trees and a lamp close by. They replaced the lamp but it's taller than the old one and it goes into the lower branches,when the tree is in leaf don't get any benefit from the lamp. Kept waking up last night feeling hot, that's 2 nights running.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's amazing:)
Yes I've walked Barley in the dark every day.
The lamps are on but there's a few darker spots.
There's 2 old oak trees and a lamp close by. They replaced the lamp but it's taller than the old one and it goes into the lower branches,when the tree is in leaf don't get any benefit from the lamp. Kept waking up last night feeling hot, that's 2 nights running.

Might be a good idea to tell the council street care!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes i think we'll have to. There's a website that we go on to report the lamps that are off. But there's not a place on there to say about the trees.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just returned from the stores and our private estate is like a skating rink having a covering of snow.

Makes a change from Blackie and even Gale is having a rest for a change; -0.5 but feels warmer now Gale has let up; yesterday in the breeze it was perishing.

Tomorrow is forecast warmer so hopefully I can sort our Neighbour Carole's bird table out; it's attached to the top of a large tree stump but the stump has decided to lay down; more logs for a neighbours woodburner. :)

Good luck Logan if you try to contact your local council by their website to report anything; if yours is like ours then after you've taken ages filling in your family history and making the report out as you hit "Submit" your message will self destruct? Strange though that paying the council tax online always works? :(

A quick update with a picture; the snow's coming down..

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00151.JPG

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We have wind now. Just came in.. Very cold still. Some of my hellebores buds are part frozen. Pots stood in frozen ice patches collected in trays. 3 tiny snowdrops trying to rise from the dirt. Something so pure about white rising from dirt ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
We have wind now. Just came in.. Very cold still. Some of my hellebores buds are part frozen. Pots stood in frozen ice patches collected in trays. 3 tiny snowdrops trying to rise from the dirt. Something so pure about white rising from dirt ..
Your helebores will be alright.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It was -6C/21F when I checked before going to bed last night. It's been a grey, very still day today and the recent snow isn't melting. The temperature reached -2C/28F in daylight hours.

In the last four weeks there's only been one without snow on the ground. I'd really like to get to work in the garden but sadly that's not going to happen anytime soon with more snow promised. Prolonged snow in the Highlands is very unusual now due to climate change, in fact there was only a brief sprinkling last winter. Britain as a whole was promised a bad winter this year and for once it seems the forecasters are right.

Ask a Question