Weather

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a northerner. I'm used to snow in December and I like it.
Of course, I'm afraid of ice on the roads. Once on a slippery, almost empty road, my car took me to the oncoming lane. I saw that a truck was coming toward me. I squeezed my eyes shut. And when I opened them, I saw that I was completely alone on the road. I do not know how long I sat with my eyes closed and where the truck disappeared.:D

Are you telling stories, Larisa? Hahaha!:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
No central heating in winter is pure torture. @Sheal hope you get a system that heats up quickly. You must have an open fire or stove?

Temperature today a HEAT WAVE 11 to 13c..

You're not wrong @alp ! It's bound to be the coldest week of the winter knowing my luck. We have a stove but can't use it until after the heating is replaced. It has a back boiler that can't be trusted and needs to be removed.

We will probably buy a couple of oil filled radiators and there's always the 13 tog duvets we have. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin all the males in my family are bikers including my younger daughter. It's in the blood I suppose. I moved to Scotland from the Isle of Man - a biking nation of course and the T.T. races were a yearly event for us.

111 T.T. 2014.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A strange day weather-wise here. With snow still on the ground, the sun has shone with showers of rain in between. The weather really doesn't know what it wants to do! -2C/28F.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe Do people get paid for shovelling snow? Serious hard work ..

We have a mini heat wave these two days 13 to 14 with low as 5c.. At least the ground is not totally frozen. More rain to come.. We are letting water go to the garden, a rarity here. Son does it without being told.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, mild but raining. Think I've got your blackie Colin.
Sunrise 8.18 Sunset 16.04.
9c
Got wet walking Barley at 6.30 this morning
Had to change my clothes and put them in the dryer. Better than snow though.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You're not wrong @alp ! It's bound to be the coldest week of the winter knowing my luck. We have a stove but can't use it until after the heating is replaced. It has a back boiler that can't be trusted and needs to be removed.

We will probably buy a couple of oil filled radiators and there's always the 13 tog duvets we have. :)

And some hot water bottles. Apparently, the sale of hot water bottle has gone up by 80%! :LOL: I feel so sorry for you just thinking about it!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,[

QUOTE="johnny canoe, post: 129191, member: 4686"]It's -28C with a wind chill of -42C right now. Snowed a lot the past couple of days and today I was shoveling snow for eight hours.[/QUOTE]

That's some serious snow shoveling johnny; I don't envy you. :(

Here in the UK 2" deep snow is a disaster as the country shuts down and power lines drop; we don't have the good old fashioned winters now because our winter lasts 9 months followed by 3 months bad weather. 2017 has been another wash out as far as I'm concerned with virtually no difference between the seasons which just merged into one being nothing but a black hole with so much rain and wind; both Blackie and Gale have excelled themselves this year and still no let up. I'd much rather have a short severe winter and get it over with. (y)

My forecast for Yorkshire covering 2018 is for rain and wind. Bron only remarked yesterday that if we moved our bungalow and gardens three miles in any direction we would get out from under Blackie and this is so true as to what it's like living here on the exposed valley side.:mad:

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We have 4 to 9c here. At least a dry day.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Another New Year but the same old story; if I wasn't so fed up I would be depressed. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Yorkshire and Humber
Forecast Summary
  • Tuesday
    Dry and cold and bright initially. Wind, rain, and perhaps brief hill snow, will arrive by late morning, then mostly clearing by dusk. More wind and heavy rain overnight.

Ask a Question