Weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
It was -6C/21F when I checked before going to bed last night. It's been a grey, very still day today and the recent snow isn't melting. The temperature reached -2C/28F in daylight hours.

In the last four weeks there's only been one without snow on the ground. I'd really like to get to work in the garden but sadly that's not going to happen anytime soon with more snow promised. Prolonged snow in the Highlands is very unusual now due to climate change, in fact there was only a brief sprinkling last winter. Britain as a whole was promised a bad winter this year and for once it seems the forecasters are right.

Usually this is our weather in December. But now we have warm weather and fog.
We dream of getting snow and cold. I hope January will be snowy.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp I saw in the TV news some snow-covered highway at you and cancellation of flights because of terrible weather. This is probably in the north of the country?

No, unfortunately. This country is like a joke. Even in London airports, all have been in disarrays! That's why so many people have been so angry. Every year we have a few days' of snow, the whole country come to a standstill. People are stranded in the motorways. Of course, it is worse in the north, but basically, passengers have to sleep on the floors at the airports. Another funny thing is that every Christmas, quite a few train drivers are on strike, thus crippling the transport network. These people pay a lot of money for the train fares and yet the services are not reliable and yet every April, to add insult to injury, there is, without fail, an above-inflation fare rise. Just tell you that successive governments have not been able to tackle these problems. It's like people decrying fat cats' wages, nothing will be done. Until Corbyn's followers surge forward and even now, the hapless government is slow to tackle people's discontent. I might have strayed a bit.. but there are such strong parallels..

Hard one to call for this paralysis as we don't have such heavy snow down in the south and because of this, investment in tackling these seasonal problems is not worth the while. But if people suffer from the inconvenience, they really suffer and bear pain!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Usually this is our weather in December. But now we have warm weather and fog.

So you actually like snow! Not me! I just can't forget how my car wwwwooooobble on the cold hardened ice! Thank heavens I didn't kill anybody or bash into someone else's car! Whoa! No laughing matter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom

I hope you get your snow @Larisa if not you can have any heading this way. :) At the end of January I'm having a new central heating system and will be without for five to seven days, brrrrrr! I only hope the weather is milder at that time.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No central heating in winter is pure torture. @Sheal hope you get a system that heats up quickly. You must have an open fire or stove?

Temperature today a HEAT WAVE 11 to 13c..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

They do say a change is as good as a rest? This certainly applies to our weather and I wonder why we moan?

The pictures below show quite clearly the contrasts in weather over the last three days here. On Thursday Bron and I returned home in brilliant but very cold sunshine; yesterday it was blizzard conditions with lots of local roads impassable by snow; today Blackie is back with his rain and of course ever present Gale is here all the snow has gone. :mad:

Kind regards, Colin.

Clear sky..JPG

Friday.JPG

DSC00152.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
So you actually like snow! Not me! I just can't forget how my car wwwwooooobble on the cold hardened ice! Thank heavens I didn't kill anybody or bash into someone else's car! Whoa! No laughing matter!

I'm a northerner. I'm used to snow in December and I like it.
Of course, I'm afraid of ice on the roads. Once on a slippery, almost empty road, my car took me to the oncoming lane. I saw that a truck was coming toward me. I squeezed my eyes shut. And when I opened them, I saw that I was completely alone on the road. I do not know how long I sat with my eyes closed and where the truck disappeared.:D

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You must have a very nice guardian angel Larisa. (y):)

My guardian angel sadly died many years ago and in December 1970 whilst riding home on my big motorcycle in freezing conditions an idiot car driver tried to kill me hitting me head on; this idiot car driver was driving with all the car windows iced up and he never saw me. I ended up with a shattered left knee cap and fractured right ankle plus lots of lacerations so as I say my guardian angel wasn't anywhere near. I'm pleased though for you Larisa and may you continue to enjoy such good luck. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We might go above 0F by next Wednesday..... -14F to -25F since the Friday before Christmas, getting tired of the cold ! Luckily the 2 feet of snow keeps our pipes from freezing.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Colin, I'm sure your Guardian Angel was there because you LIVED ! Sounds like an awful accident.

Many thanks Tjohn. (y) I reckon had my guardian angel been present I would have been riding the bike faster hence when the car hit me I would have been thrown over the low garden wall into the soft garden rather than being bounced from the wall into the road; I was recovering shortly after the operation in hospital when the idiot car driver had the downright cheek to visit me saying he was having difficulty getting to work on the bus and could he claim a car on my insurance; I'm very quite and not violent by nature but if I hadn't been strung up to pulleys with pot and bandages on my legs I think I could quite cheerfully have killed this idiot on the spot calling it justifiable homicide; no he didn't get a car on my insurance. :mad:

Yes it was a rather unpleasant accident and put me out of action for a few weeks; to this day I still only have one knee cap and a big smile across my knee as scar. In many ways though I'm fortunate to be still here; five chums got killed on the big bikes; one called Barry I was a coffin bearer for. Another called Terry a fellow apprentice in the pit had just traded in his 175cc Lambretta and bought a 600cc Norton Dominator; Terry was riding home on his Norton at peace with the world when a horse jumped over a nearby fence and he was instantly killed. I shudder at the dangers now faced by motorcyclists with the sheer volume of traffic to contend with. :(

Not all my biking was so sad; but once Bron and I married I packed the bikes in and settled down; Bron has been the making of me and these days I've lost interest in bikes being very happy to drive around in the comfort of our Skoda Yeti. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question