Weather conditions and your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Here in Japan, we just got thumped by Typhoon Mindulle on Monday and now we are bracing for the possibility of Typhoon Lionrock to hit us early next week. We had localized flooding and our garden sure is looking worse for wear right now.

How have the weather conditions near you impacted your garden recently?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's been a schizophrenic summer so far! Spring and early summer my region was classified as under "severe drought" by the National Weather Service. Very hot and almost zero rain for three months. Result: crunchy brown lawns and even some of my sturdy perennials needed watering. Good for the vegetable garden though, as we could control the amount of water it got.

The last couple of weeks we've had the northern edge of the storm that flooded poor Louisiana. It's been humid and rainy. The good: Almost everything got green and lush again. The bad: half the tomatoes in the garden started splitting from so much rain.

Oh and also the extreme dry conditions meant almost no mosquitoes which was great! Now they're breeding again, nasty little boogers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, we had heat waves and then down pour rain for days. Three of my flowers are now dead, and I think they won't be able to come back up next year :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, we have had heat waves followed by periods of drenching rains for most of the summer. We have been in a dry patch now for quite some time. One of the heat blasts followed by the drenching rains took out one of my flower baskets, but I do have some flowers that are doing rather well now. I think I should water them a bit though, as it has been dry for a while. There is possible relief from a hurricane..but we are generally too far West to get much of an effect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
No Typhoons or hurricanes here, just the fairly normal up and down weather we get in Britain. No rain worth speaking of for the first 20 days of August, and not that much since then either. Not as much sun as some Summers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What can I say, the weather here has been crazy for the last two or three years, but we're slowly getting used to it.
All my plants grow indoors, so I don't have to worry about the weather:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Good news - the second typhoon didn't hit here, they got some of it further north but by the time it hit land I think it had really lost a lot of steam. So glad that it didn't cause more damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There were two words to describe our weather in August hot and dry! I had planted some grass seed earlier, but didn't have my hose hooked up to water it. It initially was looking great, now the growth has died off or something. IF it had been a typical summer it probably would have stayed hydrated. Even today, we are supposed to be under the effect of a hurricane..even though it is breezy, I don;t think it has rained at all!!:(

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Well the worst weather condition that could ever affect my garden has been and will always be the sun. As I've stated before, I live in a super warm country where we only have two seasons and therefore, the sun is always there for almost more than half of the year without going away, sometimes the grass dies and sometimes it grows way too tall to the point of having to cut it every week, it's actually fine for me though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Odd thing here is that even when we have a drought, our grass stays green. It is because the temperature drops rapidly overnight and so we almost always get a very heavy dew forming. That is enough to keep the grass going. Very rare to be able to walk on the grass first thing without getting wet feet.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Odd thing here is that even when we have a drought, our grass stays green. It is because the temperature drops rapidly overnight and so we almost always get a very heavy dew forming. That is enough to keep the grass going. Very rare to be able to walk on the grass first thing without getting wet feet.

This used to happen to me a lot aswell, then I realized it was because I was watering the lawn in the night and therefore, it had some chance to suck it all during the night time, it really is a good tactic for a successful watering journey, indeed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our plants have experienced bad weather this year. There was a drought in the early part of the year that rendered some plants to die (not in our garden though for we do not scrimp on water for irrigation). And then 2 months ago, the rains started and it is raining almost everyday that our extended garden is submerged in floodwater for more than a week sometimes. With that kind of weather, we cannot properly use the extended garden and even root crops will die with excessive water.

Ask a Question