Stunning succulent ground cover

Reaction score
Wow, looking at these beautiful images has me rethinking about what I can do to improve my yard!

My biggest concern would be how much it would cost to create these types of arrangements. And like someone else brought up, what about during the "off" season (fall and winter)? It would be great if they were like evergreens.

These might be great for indoors as well. Imagine a room bathed in all of those colors, requiring little maintenance.

Do they emit a fragrance?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, I'm glad you like them:)
Limcid, as far as I know at least some of them are fragrant - but I haven't grown any yet so I'm not an expert.
Here is an adorable, miniature succulent decoration, I love the idea:

13.jpg

Reaction score
How do you grow succulents? I don't see any seed aspect to the plant. They seem like they would take a good while to grow.

I've always want lots of plants indoors, but I never considered these types. With all of the colors (and the low level of maintenance required) this might be a better goal than trying to grow "regular" plants. I've had no success at the "regular" variety. These seem robust enough to endure my ignorance. LOL

Reaction score
I love this idea! Saw it on Pinterest and followed the link. Unfortunately, the site it brought me to didn't have any how-to on creating the tower, but maybe I'll research it down the road. I guess you would have to wrap the tomato cage in chicken wire to hold the soil in...

succulents.jpg

Channel. You can grow a tower like this on a moss stick and mist it every day. I moss stick is any stick covered with moss and bound with wires to keep the moss in place. I usually use a chicken mesh to keep the moss in place. It also allows you to stick the succulents into it.

@ Claudine and limcid, succulent have no fragrance whatsoever.
@ Limcid, Succulents are grown from stems. just cut the top of a plant and stick it in the mud you will have a new plant and the old one will grow back beautifully. They self propagate.. or have little baby plants growing around them as they grow older and multiply. They can be grown indoors in winter. They are some of the easiest plants to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Channel. You can grow a tower like this on a moss stick and mist it every day. I moss stick is any stick covered with moss and bound with wires to keep the moss in place. I usually use a chicken mesh to keep the moss in place. It also allows you to stick the succulents into it.

@ Claudine and limcid, succulent have no fragrance whatsoever.
@ Limcid, Succulents are grown from stems. just cut the top of a plant and stick it in the mud you will have a new plant and the old one will grow back beautifully. They self propagate.. or have little baby plants growing around them as they grow older and multiply. They can be grown indoors in winter. They are some of the easiest plants to grow.

When grown indoors during the winter months do they require any special type of lighting?

Reaction score

Excellent! Finally, a plant that I might actually be able to grow. I don't know what happens, but I don't necessarily kill plants, they just seem to stop growing. These look tough enough to grow despite being in my presence. :)

I'm getting some (well, one to start with), thanks.

Reaction score
Succulents are beautiful. Didn't know they are called succulents until I saw this post. I think it will look beautiful in glasses and to be placed on the front porch or as an indoor decoration. :)

Zen%20Succulent%20Planter_450x450.jpg

Reaction score
Succulents are beautiful. Didn't know they are called succulents until I saw this post. I think it will look beautiful in glasses and to be placed on the front porch or as an indoor decoration. :)
They look beautiful anywhere. You just need to give them the right background and they will look as [pretty as you desire them to be :) I love succulent for their versatility and their beauty.

Excellent! Finally, a plant that I might actually be able to grow. I don't know what happens, but I don't necessarily kill plants, they just seem to stop growing. These look tough enough to grow despite being in my presence. :)
I'm getting some (well, one to start with), thanks.
You should try your hand at succulents. Don't over water them. Remember they are dessert plants and store water in their thick leaves. You will do well.. you will be encouraged to buy more of those. Wish you all the luck.

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the look of these type of plants. Being new to gardening I do not have the first clue of how to start them or even if I live in a area that is good for them to thrive. Will definitely have to look further into this. Loving the vibrant and various colors together!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I used to not to like succulents - but it was only because I had no idea how beautiful they look sometimes. Thanks to this thread I discovered that they're gorgeous plants - and the more pictures I see, the more surprised and stunned I am. I love how exotic they are. This is so beautiful:

succulents+in+a+lamp.jpg

Reaction score
@ Claudine, I am glad that you discovered the beauty of a species of plants. Succulents will always have a special place in my heart. They were some of the plants I grew on my own as a child. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know I've never grown any of them...but I definitely will, in my future dream garden for sure I'll have at least a few unique plants. And I find succulents very unique.
This looks nice:

Succulent-Basket.jpg

Reaction score
@ Claudine, That looks really pretty. It is a craft as much as flower arrangement is.. Here are some simple but lovely arrangements of succulents.
ClickHandler.ashx

ClickHandler.ashx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, I love the second picture, it looks so pretty.
So far, what I like the most are succulent "paintings". Some of them are really amazing! Here is a nice picture guide on how to make one:

196114_396930837051951_1629346973_n.jpg

I think I may try to make something like this in the near future:)

dsc00080.jpg

Reaction score
@Claudine. The last picture that you posted is gorgeous. Look at the many colors the succulents have. Hehe succulents will be a rave soon if others find out about this thread. :)

Ask a Question