How's this for stunning?!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20170623_044709.jpg
I visited Cloud Hill, a wonderful nursery and garden in Sassafres last week. It aslo has a great restaurant overlooking the roomed gardens. I was so inspired by this magnificent display I've tried to do a mini version. Too dark to take a photo but I'll follow up tomorrow.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So original and different. Love the drama of it. More please, @DeborahJane .

How do you manage to balance the big urn on two metal sticks??? What's the name of the trailing plants please? I'm sure they will do very well in droughty Essex. I must plant something like these or I will break my bank which is already broken.:p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
So original and different. Love the drama of it. More please, @DeborahJane .

How do you manage to balance the big urn on two metal sticks??? What's the name of the trailing plants please? I'm sure they will do very well in droughty Essex. I must plant something like these or I will break my bank which is already broken.:p
The trailing plant is called Silver Falls. Winter here so the 2 I got today don't look so good. The local nursery I go to gave them to me, very generous . I purchased the rest though. I hope to plant tomorrow. As for tonight, 6.30pm here, I'm about to head out to the local RSL to listen to some blues, dancing shoes at the ready . :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
that is stunning indeed. its all about finding that type of crock and the base to start with. having bought a few large ones already, I would imagine it would run easy over $100, for that set. leaning to $200. and your not going to be able to lift it at all. so for the winter, take out most of the plant materials and soil and cover it with a water proof material. gathering the plants is the easy part.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I decided to use a large pot I had. I had planted a daphne quite some time ago in it but it just wasn't looking good. Very different shape to my inspiration but this is my take on it. It should look good once established.
rps20170626_044524.jpg
c
rps20170626_044621.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20170717_074354.jpg
eeeeeeeek!!! I've feed it with sea sol several weeks ago and no improvement so far. I did dig it out of my garden and apparently they don't like that. :confused::eek:. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to get it back upright

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Is that a codyline? The Dahphe seemed to be happier there, LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The daphne seems happy on it's new spot alp. It was growing very slowly in that pot and i wanted that pot to make a statement. Not too keen on the statement the strappy plant is making now ofcourse :confused:. I'll try to find the tag in daylight as to its name. I have cordylines in my garden that grow up with a tall trunk and I know it's not one of those

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20170717_074427.jpg
I'm obviously so taken with my inspiration I'm getting stuck in a rut:p. This strappy one was bought new and is happy. Unlike my other one which must have been happy where it was.:( These stands I was promised will turn rusty colored which is what I'm after. Only had them a few weeks and already changing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer not to use any terracotta pots any more as I have in a very dry area and my whole garden is west facing. The pots dry up very quickly and I find myself watering the pots all the time. So I moved most of my plants out and just use plastic pots. Also, the pots crack because of the temperature differences in summer and winter. So no more terracotta pots for me.

The codyline looks so handsome and acts as a focal point in the pot. It might be a good idea to feed the compost to make them moisture retentive, which according to expert @Verdun is to mix the compost with chicken pellets, bonemeal, and organic matters .. Some people add water-retentive gel..

I incorporated tons of water-retentive gel, horse manure into my raised bed last winter and this year the roses have been singing...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks alp. I thought the sea weed fertiliser would have done it but I'll look into Verduns concoction. And I must also remember to add the water retentive gel when winter is over.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
But seaweed is supposed to be very good. I asked ex to collect some for me, but he's worried about being arrested for taking from the sea!:eek::D

Ask a Question