Help with Watermelon Strategy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've seen some good advice on watermelons in this forum, so I'm seeking some help devising a watermelon strategy.

I'm growing Sugar Baby bush watermelons in grow bags and training them up a cattle panel trellis. I fertilize them with fish emulsion every ten to fourteen days. They're doing well with robust vines and a good number of baby watermelons. However, they get to about baseball size, assume an odd shape (flattened on one side instead of round), and stop growing.

From what I've read, I need to limit the number of melons to maybe two. Is that per plant or per vine?

I'm thinking that maybe I should just remove the handful of baseball-sized melons I've got going, then select two baby fruits that are around grape-size and denote them as the winners, removing any other fruits that may form on that vine/plant. That sound about right?

Should I let the vines continue to ramble, serving as solar panels for the repining fruit? Or are they using too much energy, and I should cut the vines off shortly after the spot where the melon attaches to the vine?

Any other advice for this watermelon noob is welcome. Thanks!

Attachments

• Watermelons.jpg
    Watermelons.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've seen some good advice on watermelons in this forum, so I'm seeking some help devising a watermelon strategy.

I'm growing Sugar Baby bush watermelons in grow bags and training them up a cattle panel trellis. I fertilize them with fish emulsion every ten to fourteen days. They're doing well with robust vines and a good number of baby watermelons. However, they get to about baseball size, assume an odd shape (flattened on one side instead of round), and stop growing.

From what I've read, I need to limit the number of melons to maybe two. Is that per plant or per vine?

I'm thinking that maybe I should just remove the handful of baseball-sized melons I've got going, then select two baby fruits that are around grape-size and denote them as the winners, removing any other fruits that may form on that vine/plant. That sound about right?

Should I let the vines continue to ramble, serving as solar panels for the repining fruit? Or are they using too much energy, and I should cut the vines off shortly after the spot where the melon attaches to the vine?

Do you have your melons in full Sun all day?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

It looks like you have a micronutrient deficiency. The leaves look great in size and bushy. The color looks like it is lacking that dark green.

MOD

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
6 hours of sunlight is NOT sufficient to grow big melons. Your soil is probably fine...just not enough direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like you have a micronutrient deficiency. The leaves look great in size and bushy. The color looks like it is lacking that dark green.

MOD
Is there an organic fertilizer you'd recommend? I've been using fish emulsion pretty regularly, and just recently switched over to Morbloom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
6 hours of sunlight is NOT sufficient to grow big melons. Your soil is probably fine...just not enough direct sunlight.
Well that would be a bummer. Not much I can do about the available sunlight. I was hoping growing small Sugar Babies would get me a hall pass, but apparently not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is there an organic fertilizer you'd recommend? I've been using fish emulsion pretty regularly, and just recently switched over to Morbloom.
I use Espoma plant-tone and Milorganite at planting. However, fertilizer alone does not always supply enough micronutrients. Compost always helps with the micronutrients.

MOD

Ask a Question