Fiddle leaf, notched too deep HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notched my 7ft tall FLF and went too deep, the top half almost snapped off, I’ve taken the very top three leaves off to help with the weight and staked it, can I save it or should I admit defeat and take the top half off now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5150.jpeg
IMG_5152.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5153.jpeg
    IMG_5153.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5148.jpeg
    IMG_5148.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
By the looks of the plant and the plant's small stem you may should top it. Since you cut into the center or heartwood it may be too damaged to fix. You can tape it and try to make a splint or cast, and bind it tightly. If you cut it off you can trim the leaves off and make a new cutting in water. I recommend using RO water or filtered water for ficus plants. cuttings and not tap water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By the looks of the plant and the plant's small stem you may should top it. Since you cut into the center or heartwood it may be too damaged to fix. You can tape it and try to make a splint or cast, and bind it tightly. If you cut it off you can trim the leaves off and make a new cutting in water. I recommend using RO water or filtered water for ficus plants. cuttings and not tap water.
Ok thank you. If I try to save it how long shall I give it before I top it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok thank you. If I try to save it how long shall I give it before I top it?
You want to get it while it's healthy so it will root easily. If you wait until the top starts to get weak you will have minimum results with the cutting.

Ask a Question